Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kee Audio Stealth sub box package install (Stock Monsoon Head Unit).

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Kee Audio Stealth sub box package install (Stock Monsoon Head Unit).

i decided after searching for this, and not really finding it all in one place, i would do a write up on it. i ordered the stealth box with amp an sub install package from Kee Audio, and despite the condition the shipping box was in (damn UPS) all the components were in great condition i am still running the stock head unit and all stock speakers att, and will later upgrade the rear subs when the new HD CTD DVC units come out from Kee Audio in Sept.

here it is, my box full of happiness!

the not so happy part, this box was trashed (looks like UPS played soccer with this box!), but all the stuff inside appear to be intact

here is what used to be in the slot where my sub is gonna go, this POS has got to go!

here is all the stuff that came in the box, only extra stuff i used was 12 gauge wire instead of the crappy speaker wires for the sub (recommended by Ian @ Kee audio

when i pulled the passenger kick panel, i found this connector and was pretty pissed, found out it was the airbag (explains the airbag light), pulled the battery anyway, so i just plugged it back together, no more airbag light!

i removed the computer to access the grommet through the firewall, right behind the PCM. on a side note, now is a good time to clean out all the leaves and crap that has gathered behind the PCM.

this is where the power wire cam in through the cab, right under the airbag and into the kick panel...PERFECT!!!

i installed a PAC OEM-1 GM21 adapter on the back of the stock head unit, and pulled the lines out the passenger side. this adapter allows you to just plug and play, and add up to 2 amplifiers to your stock head unit!

i didn't take a picture of it, but i removed the molding that runs along the floor, and under the dash. it keeps the carpet inplace and runs at the bottom of the door. i ran the wires through there, and tucked them up under the rear panel, and out the back. i had to fold the back seat down, and remove the passenger side rear bottom cushion (only 1 bolt) to access it. then pulled the wires out the back, completely hidden!

Last edited by trans_am7935; 07-29-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, now for the sub wiring. the amp that came with this package is a 1ohm amp, and the sub is a Due voice coil 2ohm each channel sub. so you need to wire them positive to positive, and negative to negative, then take the opposite - and + to the sub box, like so:

ok so remember i had the stock 12 CD changer in the spot the sub is going, so we have to do something about that bracket, that is spot welded into place (or superglued, either way it was not coming off).

so i decided to cut it off, no problem.

now it was time to wire the amp. the power wire is on the left (big blue wire) the ground on the right (big black wire) and the amp turn on/switch is in the middle (small blue wire).

now the ground you want to be as close as possible to the amp to create a good current flow (withing 18"-24" if possible) so i found the perfect spot, and existing bolt and ground. i put mine on the power antenna bracket, where the power antenna was already grounded.

here is where i place my amp, i placed it on the exhisting stock amp mounting bracket (stock amp still there, just on the other side of the bracket) and installed sub wires and radio connections. this spot gives it ideal cooling, especially cause this little guy comes with a fan on it in stock form

here is the sub box, installed and trim pieces placed over it. great fit, very satisfied!

now for the power wire we left in the engine bay just sitting there. first i never suggest not putting a fuse inline to the battery, if you have a serge or your alternator volt regulator goes out, it could blow your amp and the sub. so here is pics of the inline fuse install.

my kit came with a bolt adapter to allow aftermarket pieces to be installed to the battery terminals, and uses the stock wires. you just need to pry out the stock bolt and put the new one in

here is the wire installed, and ready for testing.

mine also came with a remote sub output controller, so i ran that the same way, and put it through the ash tray area, which i already had my MP3 wire coming out of.

and that is it. all ready to go and enjoy new found power in your system! mine sounds great. now don't go and bang the hell out of that new sub and amp, you want to break them in, especially the material on the cone of the sub. so for the first week, just play and normal volume (not deafening volume) and then after that go ahead and abuse the hell out of it! hope this helps you guys out there, enjoy and drive safe!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nicely done sir!! That is the best writeup I have seen on one of my packages. I love the carbon fiber cone. It looks good but also sounds great. Along with the black car it's a nice combo.

To clarify though the cone is fine it is the spider behind the cone that attaches to it that you want to give a little break in and is the reason for a little break in period of no more then maybe a day. This is a good idea for alot of subs IMO. It gives the spider a chance to free up a little.
This is a solid SQ type of bass addition. It will hit hard and solid without the loose bass sound associated with "boom" type bass. I would compare it to a JL Audio W3 but with a cast frame and carbon fiber cone. It also has a bit thicker surround. I have used the JL W3 and it is a good sub as well but the CDT is tighter and punchier.

It also helps if you have some mechanical experience but a novice can really do this install if you take your time. The addition of a nice sub really rounds out a system with depth when done right. This way all of your frequency levels are represented. It just depends on how much bass you are looking for. This is plenty for most people.

I love seeing that things come together like that and then the end result of a little hard work. Again, well done!!

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 07-29-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice!
Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how does it sound? vid?
I have 2 12s kickers on a ground shaker box and I Love it!
just need a 1600watt amp to make them babys knock.
Nice write up.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

yes........hows about a in action video
Old 07-30-2011, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i will take a video tomorrow, but i dont know how good the camera will record it, especially the hit of the bass, but hey, customer gets what they want right also, for stock systems, i would suggest keeping the settings on the bottom of the amp where they are, but putting the gain right in the middle (pointing strait up). then with the remote ****, place it to min, turn the volume up to normal driving volume, then slowly turn up the bass **** to your desired bass level, and ENJOY!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Good write up. I have that sub with a JL 700/5 amp and love it. It hits hard.

I'm a audio newb but I was told you shouldn't run the RCA cables with in four inches of the amp power wire because it can cause interference. I just don't want you to go through the trouble of the install and have problems with it.

That PAC adapter for the factory deck is ****. I've never seen that before.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

With the newer RCA cables being sheilded a bit more then it becomes more precautionary IMO then it used to be. The old and cheapo model RCA cables used to pick up noise really easy. Now the newer ones have like a foil over the wires inside the shielding and can protect from this or at least that is what it advertises it does. I still prefer to keep them apart personally but if you are not getting noise then don't worry about it.

Keep in mind fellas that bass output is hard to record on a camera. The mic on most cameras is not made or designed for that.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO

Keep in mind fellas that bass output is hard to record on a camera. The mic on most cameras is not made or designed for that.
this is correct. now i will be using my HD video camera instead of a regular digital camera, so it should sound decent. also realize i have heads and cam, and can not run the motor when i record the sound, or all you will here is the exhaust. so it will not be an optimal video of the true power that this system is capable of. i can tell you that it spanks the stock monsoon system's butt, and i love it! i could turn it up loud enough to shake the whole hatch lid if i wanted to, and the sub doesn't pop or pick up sound distortion at all. it is a great put together system and was sought out very well. with the addition of aftermarket speakers, even with the stock head unit, you will have some very impressive sound!

also on the adapter, it comes with 2 amp hookups if you wanted to power your rear mount (sail panel) subs with an aftermarket amp if you wanted to. i also have something on the back called a GM9-AUX, it allows the addition of MPS player and ipod to be controlled by the head unit or played though the head unit (as an aux port allows). i love it, able to use ipod while driving.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, here is the video i made. the songs are by Disturbed. if you want the best sound out of it, then you are gonna need to listen to it on a computer with a subwoofer, or great bass, or else you will not be able to read the sound. let me know what you think. i have a 2.1 system on my computer and i tested it, sounded decent but in the car it sound 100 times better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rAMCOlwkgU

enjoy!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned

Lovin that Disturbed! That is cool!!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

so this setup hits pretty good when the car is running, mine is cammed and was wondering if this system can still be heard pretty good while driving, i may pick this up as a reward for paying a bill off.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, even with the windows down, you can feel and hear this pretty damn good! i mean unless you are running full throttle all the time, then not as well. under normal driving conditions, yes this will put a big smile in your face!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

S w e e t !!!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 AM

AWESOME Write-Up!!! I just bought the same kit from Ian (Kee Audio) for my 2000 Camaro SS and I absolutely LOVE it!!!!!! My neighbor's 18 year old son came over and was in AWE.. hehe.. yep my wife asked me how old I was.. I said old enough to LOVE a sweet SUB!

Anyway, I'll post a few pics of my install, very similar but a few differences, should compliment this detailed guide . It's great to see how someone elses install went.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

awesome news
Old 07-31-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

this was made just to give a general idea of how to install and how everything is supposed to go together. it is made to help you during your install if you get stuck, and just show off my awesome new sound system! amp placement is not a big issue, put it wherever you want. the placement of the inline fuse for the battery and the ground wire from the amp are the crucial info. love this sub...hits real hard and i can now feel and hear the base on the freeway with the windows down!
Old 07-31-2011, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gm adapter isn't completely necessary. Given its neat and makes it easier but you can wire the amp to the factory radio without it and save a little money
Old 07-31-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6outlaw
Gm adapter isn't completely necessary. Given its neat and makes it easier but you can wire the amp to the factory radio without it and save a little money
this is true, but i like the clean install. personal preference

Quick Reply: Kee Audio Stealth sub box package install (Stock Monsoon Head Unit).