Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

battery wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery wiring question

I did a batt relocation which was running good till my water pump died. I'm in the process of adding a disconnect switch.

my question is, I switched to a top post battery so I had to replace my positive wiring running from the batt 14" or less to a fuse. No where around me sold welding cable, so I picked up some 1/0 stereo like wiring (flexy) (same size as welding cable run on rest of the car).

Should I go through the trouble of searching down a couple feet of welding wire? The flexy stuff will make the bend to the fuse easier, but I had welding cable in there before and it obviously made it to the fuse too
Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Wire is wire. If it's the same gauge it will carry the same current so there is no reason to change. Just make sure it really is the same gauge - some cable makers use very "optimistic" gauge measures.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car audio wire is often copper-clad aluminum (CCA) and welding wire is generally pure copper, which is better. Welding wire tends to be cheaper, too. CCA is still okay-ish, especially if you got 0 gauge. And yes, some manufacturers BS the gauge but what you bought is almost definitely good enough.