Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subwoofer Discussion - Boring out Kee Audio box or Sub thump for a 12"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Discussion - Boring out Kee Audio box or Sub thump for a 12"

I'm going to be putting in a subwoofer in the hatch and I'm not sure what will give me the most bass AND has decent taste. I love rock and old school rap, and I hate subthumpingtrunkrattling noise. I've already dynamat'd the hatch, doors, and sail panels.

What I'm asking is, what gives good bass and is the most practical for weight, cost, style, etc. ... Two 10"s in the cubby holes in the trunk, two 10's in the t-tops area (subthump style), or one 12" somewhere. Has anyone tried 'boring' out the 10" Kee Audio and put a shallow 12" in there?

Last edited by idle; 08-05-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a 12" stealthbox from Ian (when he is ready to provide them) and use a Fi Q12 or a SSA Icon 12". Stuff the box heavily though take care to make sure no stuffing gets sucked up the pole vent, though, by using some sort of mesh or something.

This is the exact setup I had in my Camaro (the Q12). The box size will be a bit smaller than those speakers want, but with stuffing, it will be close enough that the frequency response won't be hurt too badly.

Even the 10" versions of those drivers would get you some pretty good output. The Q and Icon both have reasonable sound quality - not great because they are typical overhung drivers, but they will beat just about anything you can buy at a local store, and definitely anything you could find at a place like Best Buy. They will be very good for the type of music you listen to.

I don't think you need dual subs - the interior of your car isn't huge and hatchbacks do have a major advantage when it comes to the efficiency of a subwoofer. I ran a Q12 with just the sub section of the JL 500/5 I had (rated 250w, probably more like 300-350w) and it still would get LOUD. Not "I can hear you from 12 blocks away" loud, but loud enough that people could hear my car from several houses down the street if I had it cranked... on < 400w. No reason to give up what LITTLE space you have to carry things around. Just MAKE SURE YOU GET A GRILL FOR IT - I didn't and it didn't take long for something to punch through the cone.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Get a 12" stealthbox from Ian (when he is ready to provide them) and use a Fi Q12 or a SSA Icon 12". Stuff the box heavily though take care to make sure no stuffing gets sucked up the pole vent, though, by using some sort of mesh or something.

This is the exact setup I had in my Camaro (the Q12). The box size will be a bit smaller than those speakers want, but with stuffing, it will be close enough that the frequency response won't be hurt too badly.

Even the 10" versions of those drivers would get you some pretty good output. The Q and Icon both have reasonable sound quality - not great because they are typical overhung drivers, but they will beat just about anything you can buy at a local store, and definitely anything you could find at a place like Best Buy.
Okay. I was a member at SSA and I heard they made good stuff. What is a good price for those components? And suggestions on the amp or even the location? Maybe I could modify the volume and extend the face of the enclosure outwards?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

I'd look for one used in the low $200 range. I can sell you my Q12 that needs a recone for $100 if you're interested. Recones for it are $95. Otherwise check some classifieds.

As for the box, see if Ian is willing to do a custom one for you. I'm sure he'd have to charge more because he's probably got a mold that he uses to make them and he'd need to do some extra work to extend it out. Also note that you will HAVE to bolt it down somehow if you do that because the subwoofer being out further will make the enclosure want to come right out of its spot. That is not something that I dealt with and I no longer have an F-body so I can't give advice on how to do that but perhaps Ian or someone else could. If you can get a box that has .2-.3cuft more than the regular ones, you'd really be in business for a 12".
Old 08-06-2011, 02:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 12" Kicker Comp sub in a stealth box I got from Kee a bit over a year ago. It sounds pretty good for what I listen to, which is mostly rock and a little bit of rap. I really need to get some polyfill for it to see if that will help improve the sound quality a bit. It hits decently hard and is definitely enough to create a full sound for my music. I'm not saying it's the greatest setup, but it's something that works for me.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bugger you have any pictures of it?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go. Excuse the mess. It's my daily driver and I haven't had a chance to really clean it up.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

My vote is 2 10" Alpine type R's in a dual 10" F body box from KeeAudio. Love mine.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by iWon
My vote is 2 10" Alpine type R's in a dual 10" F body box from KeeAudio. Love mine.
My vote is to not do this because Type R is not a very good subwoofer, and people only buy it because Alpine is a huge, well known corporation that is sold at Best Buy.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

Yeah don't buy them because they aren't "underground"..

lol Type R's kick ***. you can get them used for like 50-75 bucks. What other subwoofer will you find in that price range that will be as loud/clear as the type r?

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Discussion - Boring out Kee Audio box or Sub thump for a 12"