Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

JL audio W3's vs Alpine Type R's

Old 08-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL audio W3's vs Alpine Type R's

If you could get either one for about the same price (the JL's are actually a bit more) what would you go with? Which one would be better in terms of volume, sound quality, and build quality?

I personally like the way the w3's look more, but who cares about looks. I could get 2 w3's for 200, or 2 type r's for about 160.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Type R and W3 are completely different subs as far as sound and several other things.
The W3 is a middle of the road JL sub and is not bad but is more geared toward tighter kick drum type bass. The Type-R is better then the W3 for all around bass and will provide more over the W3 depending on enclosure and amp.
The Type-R is Alpines next to best sub with there best sub being the Type-X. The W3 is JL's middle sub with the subs above that being the W6 and W7.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never buy either of those subs. I'd sooner recommend SSA Icons. Actually, if you're considering Type R (which is nowhere near a sound quality sub) then there are plenty of other brands I'd sooner recommend.

Last edited by dragonrage; 08-15-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ Could you please state what exactly displeases you about the Type R sub?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
^ Could you please state what exactly displeases you about the Type R sub?
It's not a POS - I just don't feel that it really brings competitive performance OR value. I truly believe that people only buy it because they aren't willing to do the research into what subwoofers are truly good for them. I feel that for any goal/budget, I can recommend better equipment. I do not believe that Best Buy sells a single subwoofer worth owning.

I do not feel that the technology behind the Type R is up to par with the kinds of subwoofers that I like. I like XBL^2, TC Sounds LMS technology, underhung topology, and other low distortion technologies. I do not believe the motor or suspension technology in the R is good. The SSA stuff is unfortunately overhung as well but it is reasonably well done. JL's stuff is also overhung. I don't know why people crowd around them. Especially the W7. Give me a JBL WGTi any day over a W7. Unfortunately, the Exodus Audio subwoofers are not coming back or I'd have recommended that. TC Sounds LMS-R is a good choice but not cheap.

It's a shame that Image Dynamics went under because the IDQ and IDMAX were some awesome subwoofers. Unfortunately, I myself didn't realize how good the IDQ was until ID was just about out of business, as I only saw Klippel results from it at the end.

It seems to me like all of the good subwoofers tend to leave the market earlier than they should. And I'd say it's because of people not giving a **** and just buying mediocre stuff like Type R, Kicker, etc. Even worse, you get all these people coming onto forums like this and recommending this mediocre (or even downright junky) stuff like it's the best equipment around.

Last edited by dragonrage; 08-15-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

The SSA DCON (only one comparable to the price of the type r's) looks like a POS.

Why do you come into every thread pushing these underground car audio brands that are SO much better than the mainstream brands but no one has ever even heard of them. I asked about Alpine and JL Audio. Not about a bunch of unknown brands that you will never be able to find used anywhere.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, comment on one recommendation that I said I wasn't sure about and removed already after comparing them? Good work calling me out, there. P.S. the Dcon is pretty underrated, but it's not a subwoofer that I myself would be satisfied with.

Why do I recommend alternate brands? Because Alpine and JL are not worth buying. Why are you a dick about it? Do you have some personal connection to Alpine/JL that warrants attacking ME for recommending other equipment?

You asked about Alpine and JL Audio and I put in my two cents. If you don't like what I said then ignore it or go somewhere else. I've been on this forum for far longer than you and have helped recommend equipment and fix issues more times than you have made total posts. I would have been able to come up with much more specific recommendations if you'd stated some goals for the system as I asked before, but obviously you don't want them and I'm not going to give them to you anyway, so whatever. I kept my post before very short because of the lack of stated goals of the system.

Also, they can be found used if you know where to look.

Last edited by dragonrage; 08-15-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Wow, comment on one recommendation that I said I wasn't sure about and removed already after comparing them? Good work calling me out, there. P.S. the Dcon is pretty underrated, but it's not a subwoofer that I myself would be satisfied with.

Why do I recommend alternate brands? Because Alpine and JL are not worth buying. Why are you a dick about it? Do you have some personal connection to Alpine/JL that warrants attacking ME for recommending other equipment?

You asked about Alpine and JL Audio and I put in my two cents . If you don't like what I said then ignore it or go somewhere else. I've been on this forum for far longer than you and have helped recommend equipment and fix issues more times than you have made total posts. I would have been able to come up with much more specific recommendations if you'd stated some goals for the system as I asked before, but obviously you don't want them and I'm not going to give them to you anyway, so whatever. I kept my post before very short because of the lack of stated goals of the system.
What would you suggest for a 10 inch in a box in the left side empty space in the hatch? I have an oldie but goldie PPI amp 320.4 or 640.2 given the depth of the box, with good bass but the ablity to knock if I choose. I've always ran JL stuff in the past. This guy was talkin **** about my w7 set up I used to habe when his diamonds he was worshpping souned like *** imo.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Well, stealthboxes are great for practicality, though they do limit your subwoofer options considerably. I am a fan of them myself. But there are many subwoofers that, even in 10", will not physically fit and/or will need more airspace than the box can give them. The W7 and JBL WGti series are 8"+ deep.

And a lot of the higher end subwoofers don't even come in 10" models. My usual recommendation was either Dayton or Fi, but recent Dayton experiences have made me rescind that recommendation. I've since come to dislike overhung drivers, anyway, so I won't be running a Fi driver again. But JL and Alpine and most other drivers are overhung, so you can call me overly picky if you want.

My recommendation might actually be to find an Image Dynamics IDQ used. It will provide great sound quality. Another great choice would be a used Crystal Mobilesound CMP10. I've heard great things about the sound quality of DLS subwoofers in particular but haven't personally heard them.

Fi Q10 and the very similar SSA Icon 10 would be decent and not hard-to-find choices for a more conventional overhung subwoofer. Neither are quite up to par with a W7, but they are close, and they will actually fit in the box.

Last edited by dragonrage; 08-15-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by iWon
The SSA DCON (only one comparable to the price of the type r's) looks like a POS.

Why do you come into every thread pushing these underground car audio brands that are SO much better than the mainstream brands but no one has ever even heard of them. I asked about Alpine and JL Audio. Not about a bunch of unknown brands that you will never be able to find used anywhere.
Just to give you a heads up the DCON is a really good sub. It uses a similar motor that has been a tried and true type of setup for loud quality bass. RE Audio, Adire (out of business), Massive, TC Sounds, Eclipse (at one point) and several others use this technology and is very good. The companies mentioned are much better then Alpine stuff and comparable at that price point to a W6. RE Audio just recently started using a different motor and I personally don't think they are as good as they were. The motor is very similar of the DCON but it is painted black so you it is not as noticeable. The motor is very similar to some very higher priced subs out there.
JL Audio makes good subs, there is just better out there for the amount of money spent. I have alot of the smaller companies for big bass output and generally steer my clients in those directions because I know they will be happier with the end result not because I get anything out of it other then a happier client. Plus it puts a smile on their face when they are able to pull a larger number from a sub like that then what everyone else just bought at Best Buys. Plus the guys that know car audio alot will give a nod to something like that just for being unique.
There is nothing wrong with Alpine or JL Audio. They IMO make nice stuff in there upper level lines of gear and most are completely satisfied with that. I personally was not happy (felt there was room for more) with Type R Alpine or some of the JL Audio I had bought in the past and that is how I discovered alot of the smaller companies. Again though this was a personal preference, I wanted more output then the Alpines were capable of and found out the JL's were not much different so I began looking a some other options. My next step was RE Audio and the SE10, the old SE10, not the new SeX10. Great sub for the money! Got me what I was looking for. Then I tried several other options. I am still trying different stuff now.

You can sometimes find this gear used but when it comes to subs I generally would go with a lessor new sub over a "better" used one. Keep in mind that subs are something that someone is going to attempt to abuse at least once or more. Subs....especially when someone is selling something off...is something that has been pushed hard....very hard. Kind of like buying a used race engine. Yea, it's powerful but it has also been pushed really hard so who knows how long it will be any good when someone else has already pushed the heck out of it. Just something to keep in mind. Unless you really know the person you are buying a used sub from.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Indeed JL does have some respectable stuff. The W7 is a good driver for being overhung. I just don't think it's worth buying over the almost identically similar JBL WGTi which costs a lot less (though is still a bit pricey). Then there's more linear stuff like TC Sounds LMS and such that I would call even better, at least for my own criteria. But none of that stuff will fit in a stealthbox, anyway.

Besides, in the same way that we probably wouldn't like a Toyota Camry even if it were good instead of a bland, soulless driving appliance, I can't find myself getting excited at the idea of having the exact same gear that everyone else does. I put a lot of time into researching many, many different audio brands and I am ALWAYS on the search for something better, no matter how much I like what I have.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_778wt_1163

How is this for fitment into the stealthbox, and my amp

The old Precision Power stuff is good aint it? This is pre by out or merger what ever happened to them.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure about that ID - depends on what was used for a recone and how well it was done.

Old PPI stuff ranges from pretty good to downright awesome.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Banned

Isn't that ebay listing for a recone kit and not the sub woofer?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

So it seems. Title is sketchy.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO

You can sometimes find this gear used but when it comes to subs I generally would go with a lessor new sub over a "better" used one. Keep in mind that subs are something that someone is going to attempt to abuse at least once or more. Subs....especially when someone is selling something off...is something that has been pushed hard....very hard. Kind of like buying a used race engine. Yea, it's powerful but it has also been pushed really hard so who knows how long it will be any good when someone else has already pushed the heck out of it. Just something to keep in mind. Unless you really know the person you are buying a used sub from.

It's like a really hot girl...You know that box has been beat up. However, no matter how hard you try, you can't hurt that.

My useless post for today.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone ran one of the CDT carbon subs?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Anyone ran one of the CDT carbon subs?
A bunch of people have. Like a tighter JL W3V3 with better sound quality a cast frame, and a carbon fiber cone. I have 5 left in stock right now but can plenty more where that came from. Shoot me an email if you want one and I can get you a good price.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
A bunch of people have. Like a tighter JL W3V3 with better sound quality a cast frame, and a carbon fiber cone. I have 5 left in stock right now but can plenty more where that came from. Shoot me an email if you want one and I can get you a good price.

Work me up a quote on 4 replacement speakers (can do components if necessary in the front) and one ten inch Carbon in a small ported box sized for a Chevy cobalt. Do you think one 10 will produce enough as its not a hatch? I have the 320.4 PPI amp and i think it will be fine, but what about the other speakers? Unsure of the factory head unit's output.

I'm out of the whole "boom" stage ( previous w7) but i would like it to be moderately loud if i feel like it.

My Camaro is just to GD loud to warrant the money IMO

Thanks a ton.

Scott
Old 08-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Work me up a quote on 4 replacement speakers (can do components if necessary in the front) and one ten inch Carbon in a small ported box sized for a Chevy cobalt. Do you think one 10 will produce enough as its not a hatch? I have the 320.4 PPI amp and i think it will be fine, but what about the other speakers? Unsure of the factory head unit's output.

I'm out of the whole "boom" stage ( previous w7) but i would like it to be moderately loud if i feel like it.

My Camaro is just to GD loud to warrant the money IMO

Thanks a ton.

Scott
Hi Scott,
No problem! Shoot me an email so we aren't hi-jacking the thread and I will get you all taken care of! I will have all that together by tomorrow afternoon. keeaudio@bellsouth.net

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JL audio W3's vs Alpine Type R's