Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring question when replacing 99 Camaro door and sail speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring question when replacing 99 Camaro door and sail speakers

Hey everyone,

I am currently trying to upgrade the mess of a monsoon system in my newly acquired Camaro. The door speakers are blown, and there isn't any sound coming from the sail speakers at all. The hatchback speakers aren't there, but that doesn't bother me considering they are awful 4" speakers anyway.

My plan is to replace the door and sail speakers with new 6.5" 2 ways. The first thing I did was go online and buy two sets of clarion SRG 6.5" speakers. The link is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-SRG162.../dp/B0032FOJNE

They are single voice coil, coaxial speakers at 35W RMS.

However, when I took off the driver side door panel I realized the old speaker is what appears to be a 6.5" component speaker, which LOOKS like a coaxial speaker (it is put together with the tweeter in the center) but apparently the speaker and tweeter is wired separately (mid-range is sent to the speaker from the amp, and highs are sent to the tweeter directly from the head unit).

As far as I can see, I have two or three options. Do I wire the mids (from the amp, dark blue and light blue wires) to the speaker and forget about the other two wires? I tried this and the sound wasn't really that impressive. It wasn't that much quieter but the quality wasn't really there... I guess it could be the stock amp/HU combo but I don't know.

Or is it possible and safe to wire BOTH the mids and highs to the speaker? Meaning: Wire the positive Mid range wire (speaker, from amp) AND the positive high range wire (tweeter, from HU) to the positive on the speaker, and the same for the other two. Essentially converting 4 wires to 2, Component to coaxial. I have never heard of this so I'm assuming it isn't safe/feasible, but if this works then I would rather do this than lose sound depth/quality.

I guess my other choice would be to return one set of clarions and get something else... simply a component speaker?

The sail speakers should be simple, I am planning to simply bring the hatch wires forward and use those instead, to eliminate the lowpass or whatever filter the monsoon amp has on the sail speakers.

What would you guys recommend? Please be detailed, I'm far from an expert in this area.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Read the Monsoon FAQ in this section before you go any further, it will save you a lot of headaches.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 PM

I have read the monsoon faq several times, it has been my go to up to this point. Unfortunately, it doesn't answer my question here. I'd like to know if its feasible to use my single voice coil coaxial speakers for the front door panels, and if I can run all 4 channels to them.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not many people do what you're trying to do. Most of us tend to stick to the OEM design, if not the OEM speakers/amp. Using the sail positions as something other than midbass, drawing your soundstage backward, eliminating the hatch channels... taking out component speakers and using coaxials in their place. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't do any of this and you're asking how to tweak the edges of a project most of us would have done completely differently. Why are you doing this, to save money on speakers?

You may find this useful for what you're trying to do:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-monsoon.html

Last edited by Capricio; 08-14-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Wiring question when replacing 99 Camaro door and sail speakers