Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Electrical issue with dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Electrical issue with dash

OK so today I start my T/A (98) for the first time in MONTHS. It took a while for it to crank over, but it finally fired up - anyways, the odometer, security, check gauges and another one that is above (I think) the security are all staying lit even after the car is off and the key is pulled.

I do have an after market alarm (was in the car when I bought it so I'm not sure what kind it is) and IIRC the factor alarm is still in there to.

Does anyone have an idea as to why these lights are not turning off?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, power is obviously getting to them when it shouldn't which means either a wiring short or an internal short in some component. You should find some wiring diagrams, find everything that interfaces with the lights/gauges and verify. Though my first step would be pulling the fuse for them - hopefully at least that will shut them off. Depending on the alarm added, you might be able to try pulling the connector from the alarm 'brain' just to see if the stuff turns off as it should. Perhaps the BCM could also be related, but I'm not sure without seeing wiring diagrams. Also, it's not a case of anything else like the radio staying on, is it? JUST the gauges/lights?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya. Right now the car is in the body shop and will be for a while so I won't be able to address it any time soon, but I did take some pics of the lights that stay on. As for the radio, I don't recall; I will try to remember to take notice next time.

Thanks!