Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

need help setting up a system for a convertible

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default need help setting up a system for a convertible

Ok so my 99 LS1 is totaled out as of last week, and Im currently demodding the car. So I have been looking for a replacement and came across a convertible that might be mine. My question is, how can you get good bass out of a convertible? Never owned one, and not real sure what to do or what way to start. I have massive audio ck6's components, 2 jl audio w6 v2's and diamond audio amplifiers out of the wrecked car to put in the new one. Can you still use stealthbox's in a convertible. Anybody have any pics of a good sounding system in a vert? Any help would be appreciated
Old 08-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

I have done a few and you can get good bass from them. With the equipment you have listed you would be in good shape. Is this a Camaro or Firebird (Trans Am)?
Either way you cannot reuse the drivers side stealth box in the vert because it will not work on the same side in the trunk. You can use a passenger side stealth box or a conventional box in there. I used a passenger side box on the ones I did and it worked well. With a W6 you should be just fine.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Awesome!!!! I have both a passenger and driver side box so that is good news!!! This will be a camaro, and I'm thinking of selling my diamond audio setup and go with a massive audio nx5 and maybe throw in a JBL MS8. Kee, do you think the MS8 would be a good addition in a vert?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a convertible, you want the beefiest front speakers possible to get as much bass/sound from as close to you as possible. It can be done, but it won't be nearly as easy.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

I actually carry both of those but not on the website. I have JBL's full line and the MS8 is cool but honestly I think you'd be ok with just that amp. It is a phenomenal amplifier with big power for a 5-channel.
What head unit are you currently running? If you are still using the stock unit then a good processor like the MS8 would be a welcome addition. If you are running a quality aftermarket unit then I would really think it would not be necessary and you would get great sound from the amp by itself.
Let me know if I can assist you on that as I have all of JBL and actually have 2 JBL MS8 in stock currently. I also can order in the Massive NX5, not alot of guys are familiar with that amp or Massive Audio so It isn't something I keep around.
I do have 2 DC10 Massive subs and a set of RK6 components in addition to some other big 5-channel amps I have been saving.
Shoot me an email: keeaudio@bellsouth.net
I can access those more quickly.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dragonrage
In a convertible, you want the beefiest front speakers possible to get as much bass/sound from as close to you as possible. It can be done, but it won't be nearly as easy.
Completely agree^^^^ verts are a pain.
I was using CDT ES-06 Braxials (cobra mount tweeters) up front on that vert to try and get as much as we could out of it with full deadener. Custom made mounts as well to get them to fit. I also used a CDT ES-6S shallow driver in the place of the coaxials with a small spacer to get a little more midbass/midrange for a little more depth.
Out back was an RE Audio SE10 in a passenger side stealth box.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Launching!

As far as headunit I have an alpine cda-117, my old camaro was built with SQ in mind. I agree, Massive Audio is a phenomenal product that not many people have heard of. I love the CK6's and believe its some of the best midbass out there. I didn't like the tweeters and switched those to a set of H.A.T. L1v2's and plus loved the small footprint on them to fit in my 6litereater pods. I thought the MS8 would help as far as cleaning up the signals and I love the fact that you can setup in under 20 minutes and have a 30 band eq. I will keep you in mind when if I do end up getting this vert and if I sell all my Diamond equipment. I agree also, a dead door will help out alot with bringing the bass up front, and I will be using second skin to take care of that.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kee - the passenger side sub box needs removing the spare tire?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Kee - the passenger side sub box needs removing the spare tire?
That is correct. You do have to remove the spare from it's location to put that enclosure in it's place. The problem is that the drivers side has the motor for the top on that side so you can't use the area there for a drivers side stealth enclosure.
That being said a regular type of enclosure can fit in the trunk as well. There are some smaller enclosures that can be utilized in there since you don't have the T-Top storage to worry about like in the coupe.
The main focus really though is in the interior and getting that right first. It is also the challenging part since it is a vert. More bass is required there to really get good depth since you do not have a top per say. It can be done though with the right equipment and enough power. This is of course for a loud aftermarket system that still sounds good.

As for the benefit of the JBL MS8, it does help really dial things in but to be honest the benefit in a convertible car is questionable as it just is not a really good environment for audio to begin with so you would see some benefit from it of course but I am not sure if the cost is really worth what you would get out of it vs. a nice aftermarket head unit and a high quality amp with nice quality speakers. CDT had a really nice convertible BMW 330Ci they did as there show vehicle a while ago and it was pretty amazing.
One of my suppliers has a Mercedes CLK430 that is award winning in sound quality competition and they use a Pioneer DEX-P99RS receiver that has a built in 31 band EQ as the source unit. This is an expensive stage 4 unit but it has all the tuning the need built in. Similar to what you would get out of the JBL MS8. Keep in mind also that this is a coupe, not a convertible.
Are you going for a full, all out sound quality competition type sound system? Or is this just a sound system you want to sound really good for fun? Alot of the equipment we are talking about here is pricey to say the least so for a fun vehicle it might be overkill.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Are you going for a full, all out sound quality competition type sound system? Or is this just a sound system you want to sound really good for fun? A Lot of the equipment we are talking about here is pricey to say the least so for a fun vehicle it might be overkill.
Correct. And I would go ahead and decided now a final goal, or else you could spiral out of control like I did. I'm still in the spiral, but am seeing the end. Final goal now is a full competition style setup with absolutely no loss of usable space anywhere. It's a third-gen, but ideas can be applied.

JL Audio 6.5" midbass/sub in an enclosure in the back of the doors, with JL 5.25" set in custom pods.

JL 13.5" sub in the back seat:

And I mean literally in the back seat. Full custom fiberglass enclosure in the shape of a back seat:

Audio Control DQX, JL amps, and power distribution in custom panels in the trunk. I can still fit the same size suitcase as I could before.

The DQX is a full crossover and EQ. I'm actually going to have an AMX automation system (I program them as my day job) monitoring the car's speed and top status and automatically change EQ presets depending on car speed and whether the top is up or down.

And don't forget the sound dampener... a lot of sound dampener

Full build log of the whole car here:

http://www.ms-fbodies.com/jade_ta.htm

Kevin D.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shr00m-dew
Correct. And I would go ahead and decided now a final goal, or else you could spiral out of control like I did. I'm still in the spiral, but am seeing the end. Final goal now is a full competition style setup with absolutely no loss of usable space anywhere. It's a third-gen, but ideas can be applied.

JL Audio 6.5" midbass/sub in an enclosure in the back of the doors, with JL 5.25" set in custom pods.

JL 13.5" sub in the back seat:

And I mean literally in the back seat. Full custom fiberglass enclosure in the shape of a back seat:

Audio Control DQX, JL amps, and power distribution in custom panels in the trunk. I can still fit the same size suitcase as I could before.

The DQX is a full crossover and EQ. I'm actually going to have an AMX automation system (I program them as my day job) monitoring the car's speed and top status and automatically change EQ presets depending on car speed and whether the top is up or down.

And don't forget the sound dampener... a lot of sound dampener

Full build log of the whole car here:

http://www.ms-fbodies.com/jade_ta.htm

Kevin D.
You did a lot of work to the car. Looks good.

Quick Reply: need help setting up a system for a convertible