Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Are these Focal speakers any good? Need some quick feedback..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Are these Focal speakers any good? Need some quick feedback..

I know Focal makes some really high-end audio but how do these compare to do the CDT EU-61CV's for the front doors of my TA? The price is, of course, the main draw to these but I'd be willing to pay the premium if the CDT's are going to sound that much better.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

Why not just post in my thread? lol. Anyways, these are REALLY good speakers. They are normally $299 on other sites. If you swap out your door speakers for these you will be amazed. It would help if you also had an amp to give them more power.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Ah, I keep this sub-forum open in a tab all the time.

I guess the last time i refreshed was before you posted so i missed it.

I'm gonna order a set. They're $100 cheaper than the CDT's!
Old 09-04-2011, 04:22 PM
9 Second Club

Are you still running the factory door speakers?
Old 09-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Are you still running the factory door speakers?
In the front, yeah.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those speakers are great, though some people think the Focal tweeters way too bright/harsh, so I'd really recommend hearing them first. But that is a great price that won't last.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Those speakers are great, though some people think the Focal tweeters way too bright/harsh, so I'd really recommend hearing them first. But that is a great price that won't last.
Well, I may end up keeping the stock tweeters or going with something different as the Focal tweeters are 1.75" mounting diameter and 2" exterior. I don't think they'll fit in the stock location (3/4"?) and I really don't want to hack up my door.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Tweeter pods. Buy them. Huge improvement in themselves. I don't know what you can easily fit in the stock location, but ANYTHING beats stock. And make sure not to use the stock tweeter wires with the Focal set, either. You want to use Focal's own crossover.

And DO NOT use this set with stock tweeters. Under any circumstances.

Last edited by dragonrage; 09-05-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Focal will blow away the CDT stuff
We sell both and I only offer the CDT if someone really has to have it

We sell alot of Focal for all our Corvette and VIper customers.

You will be very happy with the Focal and let me know if you need pricing on anything

Dennis
Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DOUBLEDMODS
Focal will blow away the CDT stuff
Ever heard the QES-1220 (or 1020) sub? If so, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on it because I ordered a couple of the 1220s for a good price... BTW, could you give me some pricing on Focal's 12" subwoofers and 7" midbass options? I am not sure if I will be buying anything like that but I like to try new things and I am looking for some new midbass drivers for my G8.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Focal are great speakers no question and the Polyglass line are very nice for the price.
As to "blowing away the CDT stuff"...hardly.
They are the same price ($299.99) and both sound great and have their benefits. They are also different designs, the CDT uses a phase plug design in the EU-61 which is a nice design but gives up a little in midbass response but offers better clarity at high volume. The Polyglass uses a fixed conventional style dust cap that offers a little better bass response. I am not a fan of the crossovers with the Focals in this case though. The CDT crossovers are better. I have heard both of these side by side on similar power and both sound very good. You should be happy with the Focals performance overall.

Hey Rage, I am running a QES-1020 in my truck right now. It's a great little sub. I had a pair of the previous version of the QES-1220 in my Trans Am. They are very good subs, you should like them pretty well.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the response. I planned on getting CDT components from you to go along with the HD-6M's i pre-ordered but at this price i couldn't pass it up. I figured they were around the same performance level as the CDT's.

P.S. can you PM me a price on some sound deadening? Enough to do my doors and sail panels.

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Focal are great speakers no question and the Polyglass line are very nice for the price.
As to "blowing away the CDT stuff"...hardly.
They are the same price ($299.99) and both sound great and have their benefits. They are also different designs, the CDT uses a phase plug design in the EU-61 which is a nice design but gives up a little in midbass response but offers better clarity at high volume. The Polyglass uses a fixed conventional style dust cap that offers a little better bass response. I am not a fan of the crossovers with the Focals in this case though. The CDT crossovers are better. I have heard both of these side by side on similar power and both sound very good. You should be happy with the Focals performance overall.

Hey Rage, I am running a QES-1020 in my truck right now. It's a great little sub. I had a pair of the previous version of the QES-1220 in my Trans Am. They are very good subs, you should like them pretty well.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your not going to go wrong with speakers of this caliber. They are all very good, they have different flavors for lack of a better way to describe it.
Kind of like chocolate...it is all very good (assuming you like chocolate that is) but there are different variations of it.
I will shoot you some info on deadener.

Quick Reply: Are these Focal speakers any good? Need some quick feedback..