Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What happens when you blow a speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens when you blow a speaker?

Yeah do they just stop working completely or do they sound like crud? I picked up a little cheap head unit to replace the monsoon head unit because I had the old tapedeck one and needed some cd action. Well i got the thing from crutchfield under the outfit my car button. got the wiring harness and antenae adapter from them too. Well after plugging in the new head unit the sail panels stopped working. I can't be too sure but I'm pretty sure that the sail panels worked for about 5 minutes and then stopped, but I could be wrong. Either way they don't work at all now. After looking at the new HU manual it said not to use with 1-3ohm speakers (woops), says only to use with 4-8ohm. I have a camaro coupe so I have (had?) the 2ohm sail panel speakers. So did I blow em? What should I do to rectify the situation? If I purchase a set of 4ohm sail panel speakers will this fix my problem?

1998 Camaro Coupe with Monsoon Tape
new HU: Pioneer DEH-1300MP
Old 09-10-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the voice coil can melt from overheating.....surround can tear.....
Old 09-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

what do you think is my problem?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

blown speakers usually make a snap crackle or pop noise, but they can just die all together and stop entitely.

if the manual says use 4ohm speakers .. 4 ohm speakers should work perfectly. replace the not workign units with the proper rated equipment.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your HU wouldn't drive the sail panel cones directly, as long as the monsoon amp is in place. All it does in a Camaro is send speaker level output to the Monsoon amp. The monsoon amp is what sees the actual speaker impedance levels.

See if your HU has an HPF setting that is set too high, preventing any bass from reaching the sails through the main 4 channels. Take the plastic grills off of the sails and see if they move at all, and remember that no treble frequencies will ever come out of them, they are purely for mid-bass.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

ok yeah, they actually ARE working, just not as powerfully as before, I removed the plastic grill piece to see if they were working, indeed they are. The stereo had a "Loud" option and when turned to "High" the speakers can now be heard a little better, but still not as good as before. The "Loud" option apparently (according to the manual) compensates for deficiences in the low and high-frequency ranges at low volume. That being said, 4ohm subs should be plug and play? Or will I need to modify anything else?

@Capricio what's HPF?

1998 Camaro Coupe w/ Monsoon Tapedeck
New HU: Pioneer DEH-1300MP
Stock Sails: 2ohm
New HU manual says: 1-3ohm is a no no. only 4-8ohm.

Last edited by Grim Crow; 09-11-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HPF = High Pass Filter. If your HU has this setting, it limits low frequencies sent to your main 4 channels, which is what the Monsoon amp is relying on for all of it's outputs. The stock sails on your car are SVC 2 Ohm. You can use a 4 Ohm replacements if they have a high enough sensitivity level, probably around 88 dB or so. You can also use 2 Ohm SVC again, since it is the Monsoon amp driving them, not your HU. WHatever impedance limitations there are on your HU do not apply because the Monsoon amp sees the speakers as loads, not the HU.

If all you changed was the HU, there's really no reason the sails shouldn't be as loud as before unless you have some of the EQ or filter settings messed up. I'm not sure what settings you have available to play with on that particular model.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

ok, so it's all end-user interface stuff, not anything hardware related. or the whole cheapy HU thing. either way i'll play around with it for a while to see if i can improve it.