Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need some help and opinions with speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some help and opinions with speakers

I want to upgrade the speakers in my '00 T/A without having to put in some random box that just sits in my backseat. No offense to anyone else, but I think that looks ridiculously bad. My problem is that I know NOTHING about audio electronics or how they work. I have a good understanding of electronics, just not anything with audio. Does anyone have any suggestions for speakers/subs/tweeters that sound good in our cars but still look stock when all the panels go back on? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Well, sure, but give us more of an idea of what you're looking for as far as SPL / sound quality / budget, etc. And are you willing to at least use tweeter pods? Those will seriously improve the sound and can look reasonably stock if you don't put flashy tweeters in them. If there's one thing in a 4th-gen F-body that absolutely MUST be changed from stock in order to have good sound, it's the tweeter location.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll use tweeter pods. Where is the best place to put them? I'd like to stay under 700 dollars if possible, but I'll pay to get what I want. I'm not looking for something that I could take to a car audio contest, but I'd like to be able to turn up the music and everything be clear.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Tweeter pods go on the inside of the door opposite the side mirrors. A lot of cars come with the tweeters in that location stock, but 4th-gen F-bodies do have aftermarket versions available. I used such a thing in mine before I sold it for my G8. They aren't too expensive. http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=260

For speakers, one of my favorite brands that has some less expensive sets is Boston Acoustics. But there are plenty of options that will give you good sound without breaking the bank. Some of the forum sponsors carry brands like CDT that would be another good choice.

Do you want a subwoofer? If so, would a stealthbox (search the forum for it if you don't know what that means) work? Or do you want to stick to 6.5" mini-subs in the B-pillars?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't decided if I want to keep the 6.5s in the pillar or put something larger elsewhere. I removed the cd changer so there is a nice hole in the ttop compartment where I could easily mount a sub if I wanted, I just don't know how that would work acoustically
Old 10-01-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, look up stealthboxes. That's where they go. If you just like a little bass then stick with the 6.5"s - though you must put subwoofers in the sail panels to get the bass that way, and you have to find ones that aren't too deep (search the forum for choices). If you like bass then get a stealthbox.