Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Keyless

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket Keyless

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2000 Firehawk, and it does not have keyless entry or alarm (as far as the door rpo codes say) but it does have power doors/windows/hatch. I have been reading other posts on here about adding factory keyless, but it seems like it's not only more expensive but more troublesome than going for an aftermarket system. So, i am looking for just a keyless entry system (don't car about alarm), and as inexpensive as possible.

My questions to you all:

1) Which system would you recommend?
2) Who sells it/where would you find it?
3) How hard is it to install?

thanks,
-Dustin
Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Clifford, Viper, Python, or Compustar
2. Buy it from an authorized dealer of whatever brand if you want a warranty
3. See #2. Otherwise, if you have to ask, you'd probably find it somewhat difficult.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

I have always gone with dei. CHeck out there website(clifford, viper, and python). Make sure you purchase through an authorized dealer for warranty reasons, and I say not hard to install, but I was install manager for 8 years while getting my electrical engineering degree, so it may be biased bc I dont know your knowledge.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Launching!

I installed this one, it was my first time installing an alarm so it took a while to get it just right.

http://www.advancedkeys.com/

I like it though.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm going to kind of hijack here, how did you guys get the keyless to work? I tried the two-diode trick to turn on the BCM, but I've tried three pairs and each time it works about 5 or 6 times then fails. Last attempt was with 1A diodes from the Best Buy install bay, didn't even last 3 shots Where would I find a wiring write-up that you guys agree with?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

So you have to get an alarm as well? Is there an option for just the keyless entry? I've done my own wiring and installs in the past, so i can probably install it myself, as long as it's not too in depth.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

You can get just a remote start from any of the companies that I listed.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I'm going to kind of hijack here, how did you guys get the keyless to work? I tried the two-diode trick to turn on the BCM, but I've tried three pairs and each time it works about 5 or 6 times then fails. Last attempt was with 1A diodes from the Best Buy install bay, didn't even last 3 shots Where would I find a wiring write-up that you guys agree with?

Hey man I used the diode trick, what year is your car, because i know the wiring digrams out on the net cover up to year 2000 after than GM changed some of the color of the cables which in my case made it harder, I bought my diodes in radio shack, I did soder them in. I can help you but you have to tell me what color of wires you are using, maybe couple of pics would be nice.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by emenny81
Hey man I used the diode trick, what year is your car, because i know the wiring digrams out on the net cover up to year 2000 after than GM changed some of the color of the cables which in my case made it harder, I bought my diodes in radio shack, I did soder them in. I can help you but you have to tell me what color of wires you are using, maybe couple of pics would be nice.
PM on the way, thanks!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Keyless