Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Alpine Type R's in door....more distortion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Alpine Type R's in door....more distortion?

Ok heres the setup so far, Alpine head unit, Alpine type r components in doors, 1000 watt monoblock alpine amp for the subs, 2 alpine type r 12's....

Everything sounded decent with the stockers in the doors, but since putting the new alpine components in the doors if i turn it up it will distort....much more than my stockers did....

Is this because i have no real amp powering these components and they are just being run off the head unit? thats the only thing i can think of....
Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i have those same door speakers and they definitely require more power than the head unit can offer. i'm pushing them with an alpine pdx-4.100
Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that the cause of my distortion? if i amp them up will it clean them up as well as make them louder?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Yes. You are trying to underpower a set of component speakers. The distortion you are hearing is called "Clipping", which will destroy your speakers quickly. You have two choices... 1. Keep the volume below where it begins to distort. 2. Buy an amplifier to properly power them.

If I remember correctly, those components are around 100rms watts. Very few headunits put out over 20rms watts, which means you are greatly underpowering them.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright thx guys, got more to add to my xmas list now

Quick Reply: New Alpine Type R's in door....more distortion?