Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

those that know how to install remote starters....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default those that know how to install remote starters....

okay, now i know im gonna get a lot of crap for this, but i have a m6 and want to use the remote start feature on my car.........i would be leaving it neutral only to start it, i know it can be done, but have heard of cars driving off. so to solve this, i was thinking of putting mercury switches on the shifter, so that it would only start in neutral only? does this sound like a good idea? do you ahve a better one? let me know

thanks
jimmy
Old 03-09-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know if you could use mercury tilt sensors. What if you where parked on an incline?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

you dont need a mercury switch, just take the ground for the remote start from the emergency brake switch.

That way if the emergency brake is not pulled up, the car wont start.

Additionally, if you do leave it in gear by mistake, with the brake handle pulled up, the car should die out.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by currentman
you dont need a mercury switch, just take the ground for the remote start from the emergency brake switch.

That way if the emergency brake is not pulled up, the car wont start.

Additionally, if you do leave it in gear by mistake, with the brake handle pulled up, the car should die out.

hmm, never thought of parking on an incline to be an issue, i guess i need to research this some more

i have seen a mustang go into a wall because of this, he thought his ebrake would stop his car, it didnt..... he had 275 rwhp, i have over 400rwhp, i think that i will spin regardless of the ebrake

jimmy
Old 03-09-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doh, nevermind.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

is there a sensor in the tranny/shifter that tells you what gear its in? if there is then that is what i can ground it to

hmmmm

any one else?
jimmy
Old 03-09-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isnt there a neutral safty switch? I have an auto so not too sure...
Old 03-10-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

a neutral saftey switch? i have heard of them, but what is it? and where can it be found on an 01 ss

thanks
jimmy
Old 03-10-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

The neutral safety switch needs to be disabled which will also allow your car to be started without the clutch in. I have the remote start on my M-6 but I didn't do it myself. I don't believe there is a way for our cars to tell if it's in gear or not.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, thats why I said nevermind. I had to really think about that. I also do not believe there is anyway to tell whether or not the car is in gear.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

A neutral safety switch is a switch on the PRNDL (believe it or not, that's what the gear selector indicator is called) of an automatic transmission that prevents the car from starting in any gear other than neutral or park. It usually also does double duty as the backup light switch. Manual transmission cars don't have a neutral safety switch although they have a backup light switch and usually a starter interlock switch that prevents starting unless the clutch pedal is depressed.

Regardless of how much rear wheel horsepower you have a remote starter will not allow the car to "go into a wall" if the parking brake is on (assuming it is properly adjusted and actually holds). The reason is that your engine isn't running yet - the brake only has to hold against the starter motor. I had a remote starter on my old LT1 Z28 with M6 and I tried to start it in gear several times by mistake. It never did anything more than rock forward an inch or two. If you've seen a remote starter cause a car to hit something then it was improperly installed - they are designed to stop cranking the engine if it fails to start after a second or two.

The parking brake switch provides a ground only when the lever is pulled up and is used to prevent the remote hatch switch from working without the parking brake being applied. Most remote starters have a wire that can be connected to this switch so that the starter will not run unless the parking brake is engaged.

If you want to be really safe, there are several remote start modules on the market that are designed specifically for use in manual transmission vehicles. They require that you go through a procedure when you turn off your car the night before to prove the car is in neutral before it will allow remote start the next morning.