Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Low Trac Light....?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Trac Light....?

I have a 99 Camaro 3.8 M5 with ZERO options. No power windows, locks, no rear defroster, I literally mean nothing. Well I noticed when I'm driving in a spirited way and I lose traction for some reason between shifts my Low Trac light comes and I was wondering if it's just a light or will it actually cut power and is tied in with a traction control system?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is tied in with the traction system and yes it will cut power...you should feel your gas pedal fight back..like it wont let you push any more...do the 3.8s have ASR or traction control?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine doesnt have traction control , was originally an open rear 3.08 , and I gott eh low-trac light ..

In my case it was just a light , I dont have traction control so nothing would cut power or anything ..

if you dont have traction control on your car , I`m pretty sure yours is also the same ..
Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Low Trac comes on for traction control or ABS. (They use the same sensors.)

The system activates, when your wheels slip. This causes the wheel speed sensors to sense that your rear wheels are moving faster than your front wheels and that you are skidding.

1) If you are driving so "spirited" that this is happening, you are driving with too much inspiration. The computers will allow some slip but will snap at you when you are really inefficient. (If you really aren't slipping that badly, you could have a wheel sensor issue.)

2) How the hell do you get a 3.8 to spin the tires like that? Are they slicks or bald?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ good point , mine only came up twice , and one was in the rain when the rear wheels spun a bit too much ..
other then that , I`ve spun my rear tires up to 60mph countless times with the LSD and 4.10`s , never got the `low-trac`` light ..

It definately shouldnt light up during shifts right ..
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine comes up every now and then i have ABS INOP on and a ses for a speed sensor
Old 11-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by cemlsx
^ good point , mine only came up twice , and one was in the rain when the rear wheels spun a bit too much ..
other then that , I`ve spun my rear tires up to 60mph countless times with the LSD and 4.10`s , never got the `low-trac`` light ..

It definately shouldnt light up during shifts right ..
Right. You'll be more apt to get a low trac light when the rear wheels are spinning at different speeds.

That gives me an idea for the OP - Do you have different tires right and left? (I wonder if one is getting more traction than the other.)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old *** thread I know but I haven't been on in awhile. And if I'm rolling at 20 in first and hit it I spin and get wheel hop pretty bad, you can hear the hatch shaking lol. It's just a bone stock 99 5 speed 3.8. It does a hell of a burnout lol. Just a 3:23 open on pretty fresh 245's.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well you shouldnt be getting any wheel hop , hows your suspension ?
maybe bad shocks or something is causing the wheel hop..
Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I 'd say get it scanned at local parts store with a scanner that can read abs codes to find out exact what is the problem.

I had something similar. Low Trac light used to come on, now abs light was on for sometime. Turned out to be a wheel speed sensor.

If I had to guess the wheel hop , then your rear sways needs some work or replacement.

Quick Reply: Low Trac Light....?