Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Camaro Sail Panel Speaker Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro Sail Panel Speaker Recommendations

Hi, looking to upgrade (actually replace as they are blown) the sail panel speakers in my 2001 Z28 Camaro with the stock monsoon system. I've searched this forum a lot and other websites along with Crutchfield, but would like your experiences/recommendations.

I know that I'm looking for a 6.5" subwoofer or midbass - just want a speaker that will match the filtered signal that it's receiving. Probably want something thats 2 - 4 ohm and is efficient (i.e., 90db or higher).

By the way, I'm replacing the factor HU with an Alpine CDE 123, but retaining the monsoon amp.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 11-04-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run CDT HD-6CF from Kee. Good price, good sensitivity for using the Monsoon amp but capable of handling a bigger amp later. SVC is good in a Camaro Monsoon setup, carbon fiber is harder to tear/blow up. Good response in the 100-300 Hz range that you want to get from a mid-bass, blends well with a 10 or 12" later on. There are better and there are worse out there, just depends on what you want to spend and if you have any other upgrades planned (namely amp). I got these as a good value buy that works well with a two channel 75W RMS amp I got later on. I think they are solid step up from the Bazooka or other cheaper DVCs available.

http://www.keeaudio.com/cdtmidbass.html
Old 11-04-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CDT will be a good option... That's what I recommend as well. Though I recommend a stealthbox with a 12" or 10" over sail panel speakers in general...
Old 11-04-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like them in combination with a 10-12", sub-bass delivering 35-100 Hz overlapped with mid-bass 80-300 Hz. This takes full advantage of an external amp to drive all the freq ranges that require lots of power and blends/supplaments seamlessly with your main door components that generally won't produce lots of mid-bass by themselves.

Don't rely on a 6.5 in the sail panel for true sub-bass. The excursion would have to be so high it wouldn't fit in that shallow mounting spot.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks Caprico, dragonrage. It looks like the CDT CL-6MSUB Subwoofer is the current recommended speaker. But does anyone know what the sensitivity rating is for this speaker?

The other speaker I was looking at was the Kicker 10CVT654. Any thoughts on this one? It's pricey though.

But I do like the idea of going with a mid-bass for the sail panels powered by the monsoon and then a 12" sub in the back with it's own separate amp.

Any other sail panel speaker recommendations besides CDT?

Jim
Old 11-04-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01Z28NBM
Thanks Caprico, dragonrage. It looks like the CDT CL-6MSUB Subwoofer is the current recommended speaker. But does anyone know what the sensitivity rating is for this speaker?

The other speaker I was looking at was the Kicker 10CVT654. Any thoughts on this one? It's pricey though.

But I do like the idea of going with a mid-bass for the sail panels powered by the monsoon and then a 12" sub in the back with it's own separate amp.

Jim
The CDT are 4ohm. I have them in my sail panels and they sound very good running off the monsoon amp. Before I sold my setup I had a 10" Re Audio in a stealth box getting 600 watts RMS and that sucker pounded.Buddy of mine thought I had twelves in the hatch.

So basically I had what you want to do. I tried not having the sail panel speakers and just the sub and didn't like it,felt something was missing. I was happy with the setup I had and will eventually get one put in again.Good luck.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01Z28NBM

Jim
The specs on the CDT are in the link I posted. I'm talking about the HD-6CF, you're talking about the CL-6MSUB. I think we're talking apples and oranges now. The ones I'm talking about have a sensitivity of 90.4 db.

The kickers would probably be alright but they don't list the sensitivity. I might consider them if I was going with a very high powered amp, but not for use with the modestly powered Monsoon.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No 6.5"/small subwoofer is going to have good sensitivity. Look up a thing called "Hoffman's Iron Law" if you want to know why.

And be careful with buying sail panel subwoofers because A. You can't fit ones with overly large magnets (in either depth or width) B. You will get tons of rattles if you have anything serious bolted in there.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 PM

I just put in 10CVT652 kickers today. They sound pretty good. I had to drill two holes on the driver's side because it wouldn't match up, but that only took a few minutes. The biggest improvement was the door speakers though (08KS650). I went ahead and replaced the rear 4 inchers as well (07DS400). All kicker, all new, huge improvement.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Hey foxrocket, I was definitely going to go with that setup, but my son wants a subwoofer in the hatch (what can I say, it's his car - ha ha). So, I'll probably go with the mid-bass in the sails.

Like what I see with the CDT HD-6CF, but just want to know if there are any other recommendations out there. Plus, I've had a tough time contacting someone at Kee Audio. Sent e-mails and made phone calls and all went into a black hole.

Quick Reply: Camaro Sail Panel Speaker Recommendations