Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

pcm, system, and body wiring soldering questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcm, system, and body wiring soldering questions?

What solder material are you guys using or is there any special specific solder needed. I plan to wrap and weather proof anything where that I think. Might come in contact with the elements. I've done pc boards and toys usually.cheap 22ga zinc, copper or lead solder without flux works would there be any difference in automotive applications?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Generic silver solder should work fine.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Solder is brittle and not a good choice for all situations. Most of the stock parts are crimped.

I'd suggest using rosin core electrical solder if you have a good application for it. Pure silver solder requires proper fluxing, which is a PITA to do in some car situations. The rosin core is much more forgiving.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I plan to crimp all the connections and splices but wanted to toss a lil extra on it i dont want rewire or redo anything once its on some of the connectos are hell to get to while i have the motor out and harness free i can take time to see whats loose and do everything nice neat and in comfort. Just needed some input I thought it would be the same better to ask questions then go at it before tearing up stuff then spending more cash and doing double work
Old 11-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Not sure how far you want to get in to wiring, but have you considered using the OEM Delphi crimp hardware to do splicing and connectors? The GM wiring booklet (http://www.weber.edu/wsuimages/autom...%20Booklet.pdf) says to crimp and then solder, like you described. I've tried to do that, but the crimps have been so tight that solder won't flow through the wire. (So, I just crimp and go. The OEM stuff is really solid.)

If you want to get in to the heavy duty crimping, the booklet will tell you what tools you need and the Delphi Connectors site (http://connectors.delphi.com/dcsgdmcs/homepage.aspx) will fill in the gaps and provide schematics of their terminals. I was able to find the tools used and otherwise on eBay for reasonable prices.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Teching In

real good info in the links thanks again.

I crimped some wire for some gauges a while back they were solid but the connectors were slotted and some had small holes / lines for solder just never did it I wrapped it tight called it a day.

a friend of mine ordered a rocker switch he said it came with a tiny screw holes in the male and female connectors i thought that was kind of overkill for a car. the connection were tight and had shrink tubing but i guess for some aggressive applications might be needed to tap them like that!

Quick Reply: pcm, system, and body wiring soldering questions?