Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Full Monsoon Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Monsoon Removal Question

I have 99 Camaro SS with the monsoon system...

i would like to remove the headunit, factory amp, and all of the speakers

what i would like to do is run a set of door speakers and a set of sail panel speakers off a 4 channel amp, with 2 12s running off another amp

my question is, how difficult is it to remove all of the wiring for the monsoon system?

as far as i understand, there is multiple sets of wires running to each speaker due to the dual voice coil speakers, so would my easiest bet be to remove all of the wiring and just simply run new speaker wire from the 4 speakers to the amp since the amp will be getting signal from the RCAs?

anybody with any experiance with what i am trying to do, please let me know, i have wired systems before, just never messed with factory amps, and have heard they can be a real pain in the ***

thank you
Old 11-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Camaro doesn't have any DVC speakers - only Firebirds have that setup.

Why remove the factory wiring at all? It is bundled with other harnesses so removal would involve opening up various wiring bundles. Hardly worth the trouble. I suggest you install your new equipment and wiring and leave the factory stuff alone. If you want, you can unplug and remove the Monsoon amp from its bracket in the right quarter area.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Camaro doesn't have any DVC speakers - only Firebirds have that setup.

Why remove the factory wiring at all? It is bundled with other harnesses so removal would involve opening up various wiring bundles. Hardly worth the trouble. I suggest you install your new equipment and wiring and leave the factory stuff alone. If you want, you can unplug and remove the Monsoon amp from its bracket in the right quarter area.
so i could just use the factory wires, then instead of connecting them to the headunit harness, just run those wires to the amp?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, that's not what I said. You could just leave the factory wiring where it is and run your own new wiring to your amp and speakers. There is no need to remove the factory wiring in order to do your own. Besides, the factory wiring wouldn't be much use... you need RCAs for signal to the amps which you'll likely mount in the back somewhere then your new speaker wiring goes from your amps to the speakers - not at all the same paths as the factory wiring.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

I did this just a few days ago. whitebird is right in saying that you don't need to remove the factory wiring, but i chose to do so anyways. I removed the amp, all the speakers (thanks to the previous owner i had Pyles all around), and all the wiring all the way to the stereo harness. The project was time consuming, but not terrible. The only pain was getting the wires from the pass side floorboard over to the driver side. Not much room to work down there.

i plan to do the same, 4 channel, all new wires, and only have rca's running from the head-unit.

The reason i removed my wires while i was in there was because i have a double din installed in my camaro, and all the wires made for a tight fit behind my head unit. The less wires, the better, in my opinion.

and this has to account for at least a pound or two

Quick Reply: Full Monsoon Removal Question