Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Optimum setup??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Optimum setup??

SQ setup.

Not looking for brand names here, but I've always wondered where the EQ should be and some debate on where the mid-bass speakers should be, front or rear?

I've been using the EQ on the HU for a while, but always thought about running the HU into a separate 12band EQ and then to the amp, but I was told once "Why would you want to perfect the audio BEFORE it hits the amps?"

This made me think, but that would result in twice the speaker wiring. -Go from the amp to the EQ in the dash and then back to the speakers again...

And is it a waste to run a pre-amp crossover? I was told it can take some stress off the amps.

Here's my routing as of now. Feel free to tell me what is incorrect.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 11-07-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Launching!

If you want to equalize it farther than the headunit (which is usually flat for SQ setups) then run an active crossover BEFORE the amp for your components so that the amp only amplifys the signals in the range you selected on the crossover and sends that to the appropriate speaker. This is called bi amping and will produce a much better (in my opinion) sound quality than a passive setup.

With active, you do not use your passive crossovers that came with the components and if you bi amp then you need each component tweeter and mid on a seperate channel.

If you dont want to bi amp and just run a passive setup, then the wiring scheme u have now is correct besides the fact that it looks like you plan on sending a full range signal to your tweeters and mids up front.

For best sq, rear fill is not needed or desired by most so you can cut the mids in the middle of your diagram out unless you want rear fill.

Tweeter pods (6le) are a good idea too for imaging in these cars.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:54 AM
TECH Veteran

^ ahh. I was wondering too about sending correct frequencies to the tweeters if I eliminated the passive crossover. I have Some MCSQ's in the front and they've got a pretty big passive crossover. I'd have to make a new amp rack.

I've always wondered why my stereo still sounds so damn flat. I'll have to start doing more research on biamping. Found an active crossover last night while posting this. Just $280 tho.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Yea I just went through the same thing pretty much. Did so much research my head felt like it was going to explode ha.

What I found was that with just the front components and nothing else its alot more detailed but like you, my speakers still sounded flat so I upgraded those. Then got a new amp to power them and problem solved.

Im running 1 4 channel amp for the frontstage and have each tweeter woofer on a seperate channel then send that to the passive crossovers and to the components. I suppose its a hybrid bi amp passive setup ha idk.

I think a better set of components would make you happy but if thats not in your budget now then an equalizer may be able to get you where you wanna be (for now).

Its ironic though that I wanted a more dynamic sound but all my eqs are set on flat now...
Old 11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I think a lot of it is the MP3 quality and the fact that my back (sails) are pretty much on their last leg. The front MCSQ's sound AMAZING when they're turned up, but sometimes hard to hear over the distorted sails. I just want a little bit of rear fill, and I think mids will do fine.

I've got the crossovers in the front for the good set, but the backs are Alpine S10's or JL or whatever. I'm running a genaric 4 channel amp and I'd love to get a really nice kicker with all the adjustments. I'm wondering if I run the 4 channel for the front mids and rear mids, will I need another amp for the tweeters? Or can I just run a 4 channel, a pre-amp EQ and keep the crossovers up front to separate the mid and tweeter freqs??

And one more thing......... I've got my tweets in the A-pillar pointing toward the windshield. I was told that it will bounce off the glass (which it does) but I'm wondering if this is just the worst spot to be placing them. It almost drowns out the two front mids. I really wish the crossover had a -5db option like the Infinity's do.

----====On a side note====----
And this particular song sounds AMAZING in the car!!! 100% pure and NO distortion! The bass hits so fukin hard but not overpowering at all! (Running a remote gain control) My buddy was standing next to the car when I had it juiced up all the way and all I saw was his mouth moving... Couldn't hear him at all. If anyone likes Static, CRANK THIS next time you're in the mood!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjRRYjwdqo4

Last edited by bayer-z28; 11-08-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Launching!

You wouldnt need a seperate amp for just the tweeters, but if you want to run 2 amps, then id run the front stage off one and the rear on another. Or you could just run all of them off of your 1 4ch amp. A better amp would help too but again more money...

On the tweeters, yes thats a bad place for them. For sq and overall sound its best to have them where the mirror is accessed from the inside. Look up some info on bouncing sound off glass for a more in depth explanation.

Not sure which crossover you have but it should have some adjustment if the speakers are decent...

Also, if your using mp3s what are you using to play them(ipod,etc)? Mp3s are compressed and although good for more room, bad for sq. If you dl your music, theres no way around it really, but if you rip cds then you can retain the quality by using a lossless format (aiff,wav,flac,etc). Simple change in settings and big difference ha
Old 11-08-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

^ They're Memphis MC-S6's rather. Wow.. They do have bi-ampable imputs. I could have swore they were MC-Sync Sq's. I've had them for a while now and they're still going very strong for the money. IIRC, $260. I was 50/50 on them when I bought them, but after this long and the abuse they've taken, I'm quite impressed!
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...nent-speakers/

And a good chunk of my music library is downloaded. Got around 11k songs. I'll have to get some new A-pillars.... Not to mention move my damn gauges too.. damn it all.. Does 6LE have the tweeter pods for the mirror triangles?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Yep thats the only ones they have ha your in luck...
Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

^ And it just so happpens my driver's side triangle thingy has been broken for quite some time... Good deal! Just ordered them. I've been wanting a nice gauge overlay, but their price is about twice what I was willing to pay.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 11-09-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Anyone recommend a decent pre-amp?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

I found a kicker KX3 pre amp, but I see one imput. How does it know which signals to separate to each speaker? Or is it just a basic left and right, no real fade difference? Two fronts, rear fill and subs (easy one)... -As far as stereo sound or some staging for a DVD...

It's nice and small, but doesn't have much for adjustments. I'm running out of room back there with two amps and a cap.

This one seems perfect. Got all my adjustments right up front..
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161THRE...2.html?tp=9503

Last edited by bayer-z28; 11-12-2011 at 08:35 PM.