Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Slowly start losing power/gauges/lights

Old 11-17-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Slowly start losing power/gauges/lights

I have a 99 WS6 w/109k miles.

I was driving it yesterday then all of the sudden I started to see my battery gauge drop and jump while my headlights started to dim.

After a good 10-20 minutes of this, I started seeing notifications on my gauge saying "Check Gauges" then I started seeing ABS & TCS offline, check engine, etc...

I pulled over and eventually could not get it started.
I got it towed to a shop & they checked a few things.

They think it was the alternator, they didn't have the part so I asked them to charge my battery so I could make it to my house.

So it definitely starts if you let it sit for a few minutes... but after that, same thing starts to happen...
Any Ideas? Thanks
Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from my experience, if it starts after letting the battery charge then stops workin its more than likely your alternator. but thats only going from my past experiences with my other vehicles... i doubt its anything serious
Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Teching In

a good way to tell is to start your car and get a screw driver and put it against the face of the alternator, it works as a magnet. or you can start your car and pull the positive from the battery, if your car dies when you do this then its time to change your alternator. if it stays on then its something else.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Most auto parts stores will test your alternator for free.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So! I guess the Alternator & Battery are both good. (According to my family mechanic, the alternator is only a year or so old).

Now he is saying there is a short somewhere in the electrical system & that he might have to take apart the dash... how does this sound?
Any common places to look for shorts?

On a side note, he said he was having trouble looking at it because its a 99 but had a production date of August 98, so it has 98+99 electrical components?..
idk so confusing >_< ... thanks again
Old 11-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Teching In

if the car had a sound system before there might still be wires that can be causing the short but i dont see why your car would be dying while driving.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Did your family mechanic actually test the alternator or just assume that a year old alternator must be okay?

There are some minor differences between 98 and 99 electrical systems but they mostly pertain to the gauges and PCM. The charging systems are the same.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Did your family mechanic actually test the alternator or just assume that a year old alternator must be okay?

There are some minor differences between 98 and 99 electrical systems but they mostly pertain to the gauges and PCM. The charging systems are the same.
I'm pretty sure he tested it, (he's generally pretty thorough on all of the vehicles we've had him service), I just remember him saying its relatively new, I'll definitely ask tho!

Ahh, yeah he didn't get too much time to look into it this last Friday, but hopefully can find it this Monday..

The person I bought the car from had no aftermarket mods except a satellite radio adapter,, < possibly that?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok! Just in case someone decides to read through this...
It was the alternator! My mechanic had made a mistake, (plus I was very confused when he said it wasn't).

Thanks all!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slowly start losing power/gauges/lights