Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

rear speaker blown - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear speaker blown - opinions?

98' TA
monsoon w/eq

Just bought this car and I'm like WTH is up with the sound system....
Well I discovered the 4" mid in the back, drivers side is In-Op.

So what do I do?
Replace with a new stock speaker?
OR
Replace both rear 4" mids with after market?

Would like better/clearer vocals from the stereo in general. I'm hoping fixing the blown speaker will help this but I've also read about aftermarket subs in the sail panels with better coils or whatever, that might help with clarity also.
Is this worth doing as well?

I don't know a whole lot about these component systems....
Help!

Thanks!

mb.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:42 AM
BS
Launching!

http://www.keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html

I just recently purchase the upgraded standard package from Kee and I'm very happy with the sound now.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you upgrade the sails you can get rid of the rear fill speakers and you'll never even notice them missing. Are you planning to run any subs in the back?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by '00_Z
If you upgrade the sails you can get rid of the rear fill speakers and you'll never even notice them missing. Are you planning to run any subs in the back?
I wondered about that........
What if I just ditch the speakers all together and go with 6.5 coaxials in doors and sail panels?
Wouldn't that sound good and be cheap to do?
I know the fronts would have to be wired right as well as the rears because they were originally componants...

I don't need/want a separate sub woofer. Thanks though!

I think I'll place a call to the Kee guy as well.
Not sure of his various upgrade packages and what they get me for the price of each.

mb.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section before replacing speakers. You shouldn't use coaxial speakers without rewiring. The fronts involve modifying the speakers themselves to convert coaxial to components. Coaxial speakers in the sail panels will sound like crap unless you eliminate the hatch speakers and pull their wires forward. Either way you will have a significant loss of bass (the sail panel speakers are subs).
Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BS
http://www.keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html
I just recently purchase the upgraded standard package from Kee and I'm very happy with the sound now.
Did you put all those speakers in yourself? Run into any issues or is it just a direct plug-in in place of the stockers?

Thanks for the replies guys....

mb.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:02 AM
BS
Launching!

Originally Posted by motoboy66
Did you put all those speakers in yourself? Run into any issues or is it just a direct plug-in in place of the stockers?

Thanks for the replies guys....

mb.
I cut the plugs off the Factory speakers and used crimp on electrical connectors when needed. I believe there are some threads on how to install the Kee packages.

I found that it is easier to remove the front tweeters by popping it out the grill opening rather than trying to remove it's bracket. You still have to take the door panel off in order to remove the screw out of and to pry it out the opening.