Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Truck audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck audio questions

Hello
I have a 03 silverado regular cab with just the factory cd player. Not the bose system. Just curious as to the improvement in sound quality if I just replaced the head unit. I'm not into extreme bass or anything like that, but I do enjoy good quality sound. I have to 8" MTX speakers that are in a truck box. Would these speakers be worth putting into my truck or would I be disapointed with them. Also what is a good head unit that has satallite radio functions that doesnt cost alot. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Does anyone have any advice?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

to be honest Id just buy a single 10 in a truck box with a mono amp and leave the stock **** it wont be competition but u can just turn the bass **** down and let the sub fill in the frequencies...

Jeremy
Old 03-14-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depending on what series the MTXs are, it might be worth it. Some of their cheaper subs are crap, though. I had a couple of JL 8's awhile back. 8's won't really knock your teeth out, or anything, they just kind of "fill" in a little warmth. As far as the head unit goes, I honestly don't know. I've always been a fan of aftermarket for the features and added flexibility for system expansion in the future, but that's your call.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PS-Sony makes a nice head unit. I've always used them. They have upgrades for XM, too.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. Also how do pioneer and kenwood head units compare. I dont really want to put crap into my new truck. And who, including sony, has the best head unit/ amp combo. I would probably want to stick with one name brand throughout my truck.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Teching In

The thing you want to remember when replacing the head unit if you are looking for clarity of sound is the pre-amp voltage. Anything over 4 volts should be more than enough to deliver a clear line signal, whether it is going to an amp or just on to the speakers directly. I am a big BIG fan of Eclipse, Clarion makes some amazing head units as well. I have never been a big fan of sony, however I have not heard a lot of complaints about them either. It just always seems like they are trying to market the new gimmick and not the actual performance of their products.
If you wanted to add an amp Eclipse manufacturers those as well. But for my money Phoenix Gold or Zapco is the only way to fly. I have a 1997 Phoenix ZX350 running my subs. I have run this thing into the GROUND for the last 7 years. I like my music EXTREMELY loud and the amp never fails me.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:58 PM
Back in the staging lane

Eclipse does make nice decks but has had problems with them in the past. They are pretty pricey too. I kinda quit following them so I'm not sure if they got the problems resolved or not; may have, I'm just not sure. I don't think a Sony would be a bad choice. Like Fire said, it does seem they they are always trying to make something appealing, rather than quality; HOWEVER, I haven't ever heard anything bad about the quality of them. As far as satellite functions, you got me there, I haven't investigated those yet. Kenwood and Pioneer aren't bad choices either for what you have planned. I always thought Pioneer were good "bang for the buck" head units.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot for all the help
Old 04-07-2004, 05:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rositis
Hello
I have a 03 silverado regular cab with just the factory cd player. Not the bose system. Just curious as to the improvement in sound quality if I just replaced the head unit. I'm not into extreme bass or anything like that, but I do enjoy good quality sound. I have to 8" MTX speakers that are in a truck box. Would these speakers be worth putting into my truck or would I be disapointed with them. Also what is a good head unit that has satallite radio functions that doesnt cost alot. Thanks for your help.
If you want to get rid of your stock unit and it will work in my 04 silverado let me know. sbond@rinker.com