Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installing an aftermarket CD Changer

Old 03-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing an aftermarket CD Changer

Greetings,

I just installed an aftermarket CD changer in my 2002 V6 Firebird convertible and it is awesome! So I thought to post some info for those considering doing the same.

Its called a NeoChanger (PN: NEOCHANGER10-MP3) which holds ten CDs.
It plays CDs, CD-Rs,CD-RWs, and MP3s which is a big advantage over the stock GM 12 CD changers. The owner's manual says the unit is compatible with 2000-2004 GM vehicles.

My 2002 V6 Firebird convertible came with the W55 type E Monsoon system. This includes the AM/FM/CD head with equalizer. The CD changer wiring harness is also installed with the connector located behind the carpet on the left side of the trunk.

Installation of the NeoChanger was a snap. It comes with an adapter harness to connect to the factory CD connector. This adapter connects to a small black converter box. The box then connects to the NeoChanger with a supplied DIN cable. The converter box has DIP switches to configure the changer for the factory headunit to be used. In this case I set the DIP switches for "GM Old + MP3" settings and viola, then headunit now controls the changer.

Physically all the wiring goes behind the carpeting where the factory connector is. I mounted the changer horizontally on the flat surface on the
left side of the trunk. The brushed aluminum of the casing even looks nice!

Control of the CD changer now operates exactly as is described in the Firebird owner's manual, as if you were using a stock GM 12 CD changer. Even the steering wheel controls operate the unit as well!

Using the unit I find it takes 10 seconds to switch between CDs. Also a CD full of MP3s will take some time to cycle to say "Disk 3 Track 147", but it plays great when you get to it. You also have full control of the Headunit CD and can still play a single CD when desired. The "CD/PLAY" button switches between the headunit CD and the CD changer.

Finally this unit comes with 14 adapter cables. Thus chances are should you want to purchase another car, you'll have the right adapter cable to move your CD changer into it.

Hope this info helps all those looking for a seemless integration of a CD changer to the Firebird factory headunit.

Regards,
George
Old 03-27-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

George,

Were the connecting wires from the head unit to the trunk already installed from the factory (even though you car didn't come factory w/ a cd changer)? Or did you have to run these wires yourself? I'm curious - as I just bought an SS w/ a tape player and no cd changer.

Spencer
Old 03-31-2004, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Greetings,

Yes the remote cabling/connector was pre-wired into the left side of the trunk area, behind the carpeting.

More notes: Here's some more info now that I've ACTUALLY played some MP3s on this unit.

The factory headunit was designed to play regular CD audio formats, and as such is limited as to how it will access the MP3s on a CD/CD-RW. (1) If the CD has multiple albums with each album listed as a directory, the headunit will only see and play the MP3s in the first directory on the CD. (2) The headunit will only see the first 63 tracks when all MP3s are listed in the root, even though there may be more MP3s on the CD. (3) The dynamic range of an MP3 does not compare with a standard audio CD, even though I recorded at CD-Quality 128kb 44.1khz format. Still this might just be the way I'm recording versus using another method, etc. (4) The headunit will display the CD icon whenever the CD changer cassette is in the CD changer, even if there are no CDs in the cassette. You can even go to say "disk 4" even though there is no disk 4 CD.

As for regular CDs, they play correctly and sound great!

Finally...When it rains, the CD player in the trunk can get wet when you open the trunk to get something. This is an obvious observation. Its also one of those things I didn't think about until after I installed a CD changer in the trunk, and it rains! :>)

Regards,
George
Old 04-02-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got the Neo car jukebox, think its made by the same company but has a hard drive instead ofthe CDs
i love it, never have to put in a cd again, i have the 60 gig hard drive but am only using 25 gigs right now.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:19 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Question

Hooplah- How much did you pay for it? Are you saying that the MP3's quality is less than regular CD's? How did you mount it, just drill it into the body? Got any pics?

smokinHawk- I have pretty much the same questions. Price, installing, quality, and pics? How do you connect it, the same as Hooplah did his changer by using the factory wiring?

Thanks,
Craig.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Crager
Are you saying that the MP3's quality is less than regular CD's?
I may be off base here, but I remembering reading somewhere that if your MP3 is 128 you are around cd quality. I usually do my mp3's (from my own store bought cd's around 190 or 160.

Jeremy
Old 04-05-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/neo35/

i mounted it were the CD changer would go, then have a wired control up front
as of now it goes to the moonson by a fm modulator, which isnt the best sound quality
im going to ewither install my alpine and hook it up through rca jacks or firgue if a can get a rca adapter for the monson.

sound quaility is great if played direct, good accesibilty
i really like it.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:25 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/neo35/

i mounted it were the CD changer would go, then have a wired control up front
as of now it goes to the moonson by a fm modulator, which isnt the best sound quality
im going to ewither install my alpine and hook it up through rca jacks or firgue if a can get a rca adapter for the monson.

sound quaility is great if played direct, good accesibilty
i really like it.
Thanks for the info!

I bought the Neo changer yesterday, pretty easy to install and works with the steering wheel contols, I like it.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the 63-file limit for real? Or is there some trick to
get more (I get about 120-150 on a 700MB CD-R on
my portable player)? Still it's about 3-4X what you
could get with CD.

Seems like the closest thing going to what I want,
if anyone cares to let me know (PM?) there the
best bargain is to be found I think I'll buy one.
Are there any other close (MP3 multidisc changer
that works with Monsoon HU and steering wheel
controls) contenders that have popped up lately?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

The limitation may be the Monsoon headunit and not the NeoChanger.
Has anyone tried the NeoChanger in any other application to see if this is the case?

--VIP1
Old 03-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Default More NeoChanger info

Greetings,

The 63 track limit, and the Album folder listing, is per the GM Monsoon headunit, and not the NeoGhanger. I suspect should you replace the Monsoon headunit with something more currrent say from Pioneer, then the NeoChanger would allow access to more tracks. The question is whether or not the NeoChanger will work with aftermarket headunits...haven't tried this to find out.

Meanwhile...I've moved onto a Nomad Zen Xtra. I use an 12VDC plug/FM adapter to get the tunes into my car stereo system. Not quite the quality as an original CD per the MP3 conversion, but having instant access to every song in my life for the past 30 years in the car makes up for it. Of course, when I want the ultimate in sound quality, I'll load the original CDs into the NeoChanger!

Regards,
George
Old 03-13-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
i got the Neo car jukebox, think its made by the same company but has a hard drive instead ofthe CDs
i love it, never have to put in a cd again, i have the 60 gig hard drive but am only using 25 gigs right now.

Is this still working for ya?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing an aftermarket CD Changer