Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Courtesy lights in floor.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Courtesy lights in floor.

I am planning to put courtesy lights in the floor under the dash. I wan these to turn on and off with the interior light. Any suggestions on where to pick up the electrical?

I'm thinking I can tap in at the headlight switch. Use a test light or meter to ID the wire that goes hot when the dimmer dial is used to turn the interior light on. My only concern is according to how our car is wired it may or may not go hot when they are turned on by door opening.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Courtesy lights have been discussed on here many, many times. A search will turn up schematics and descriptions of their operations.

Basically, no you can't connect at the headlight switch. You'll have to connect both power and ground at the BCM or at one of the other courtesy lights. It is a closed circuit system so you can't just use a chassis ground.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon330
I am planning to put courtesy lights in the floor under the dash. I wan these to turn on and off with the interior light. Any suggestions on where to pick up the electrical?

I'm thinking I can tap in at the headlight switch. Use a test light or meter to ID the wire that goes hot when the dimmer dial is used to turn the interior light on. My only concern is according to how our car is wired it may or may not go hot when they are turned on by door opening.

Thanks guys!
Tap into the Driver side A piller wires come from the rear view mirror. Need to cut one wire and splice into the other, don't remember which of the 3 but like Whitebird said do a search and all the info is out there.

Quick Reply: Courtesy lights in floor.