Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

monsoon amplifier wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default monsoon amplifier wiring help

have a 2002 ss that i will be messing with over the winter.
Just received kee's premium speaker replacement, and considering getting a clarion CX501 head unit but the head unit choice may change.
I know electronics and wiring, but have no experience and little knowledge about audio setups.

What is the purpose of the amplifier, and do I really need it and why do i need it?
I want sound at least as good as oem, I'd prefer it to be better since i got the premium speakers obviously but i don't want to go crazy either with amps, subs, and all that other stuff. I don't want a super loud system, to give you an idea I plan on gutting the interior this winter and using sound deadening material and with any luck replacing the muffler with a quieter one.

I started reading here that the rear most speakers in the camaro are not needed and it is better to not hook them up. I would be ok with that... less work. So If I go with just the front door speakers, and the sail panel speakers in the rear seat area, how would the monsoon amp be wired up assuming i "need" it ?
I've downloaded and looked at the instructions for the clarion nx501 and sort of understand the wiring for the most part, but i have never looked at the monsoon amp so I have basically no idea how that works or how it is wired... or how it should be wired.
nx501 install instructions: http://www.clarion.com/us/en/MungoBl...501_INST,1.pdf
thanks.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 12-31-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Monsoon amplifier takes the speaker output from the head unit and boosts (amplifies) it to a higher power level. It also has signal filtering built in so that each speaker gets only the signal necessary for proper operation. For example, the sail panel speakers get a low-pass filtered signal that only allows low frequency audio signal to go to the sail panel subs (since they can't reproduce higher frequency sounds).

It's very easy to change head units without worrying about the amp or extensive rewiring. Simply buy yourself a $10 wiring adapter harness from your local parts store or even Wal-Mart. It connects to your aftermarket HU by just matching wire colors (red to red, yellow to yellow, etc.) and it allows you to just plug in to the factory wiring without cutting any wires. The amp and all the other wiring remains as it was from the factory.

Quick Reply: monsoon amplifier wiring help