Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Window motor replacement/fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window motor replacement/fix

So I've seen the write-up's on how to get a full 12 volts to your window motors to get them working better, but I think mine are pretty much shot. The driver side is terrible, and the pass side is almost totally not functioning.

Should I just replace the motors themselves? If I do, do I just need the motor or do I need to buy the regulator with it as well? I know a place having a close-out where I can get both motors for around 30 bucks.. If I do replace the motors, do you only have to do the fix to the passenger side to get all 12 volts to it or do you have to do both sides?

Is it a PITA to swap out window motors? Right now I have the interior stripped so there are no door panels or anything on right now, which should save a lot of work. I did a full black interior conversion with racing seats and TA door panels. So pretty much all I would need to do is get inside the door and do the motor itself. Windows scare me though, I've never had to screw around replacing a motor or window before.

Thanks in advance for any help/tips
Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah replace the motors, without the regulators. You can replace one side or both, i just did my drivers side last summer. It's not that hard at all to do them, takes about 20 min. Look for the sticky on how to do this, get a drill gun with a 1/2" drill or whatever drill three holes, does in no sweat. Wish i woulda done it wayyyyy sooner. Good luck
Old 01-20-2012, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Pics of interior swap!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Its easy to replace the window motors. Here are some write-ups:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/2977771-post18.html
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info

As soon as the snow clears up I'll post up some pics of my interior swap!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

motors stop or slow down because of the resistor in the motor goes bad.there is a fix for the motor where you replace the resistor with a piece of soild 8 Ga. wire. did it on a firebird with a window that would only more a couple of inchs than stop. now the windows works great. just can't over torque the motor.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

I used the ebay videos for the motor replacement and saved a lot of money rather than going to the dealer.