Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Planning new system...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Planning new system...

I'm wanting to do:

Eclipse 8443 HU or Alpine 9835 HU
Focal or Diamond Audio 6.5" Components
JL 10W6V2 w/stealthbox from the awesome Subthump.com
JL 450/4 amp

Any opinions on the front stage selections of the Focal or Diamond Audio components?
Old 03-18-2004, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both are great component sets...in fact im stuck in the same situation as you are in deciding which ones to get. You did not mention which lines though you are looking at. Utopia or Polykevlar for Focal, or Hex or M6 for Diamond. Have you got a chance to listen to either or? Overall i think that the focals are better, but the price tag can be a bit more than the diamonds. If you dont like bright tweeters than again i think focal is better. Some say Focals dont play loud, but it really depends on the type of music you listen to. One thing about the focals is that they are really really smooth and for music like jazz, concert, etc..they can really shine whereas with rap, techno, rock they can be "soft" for some peoples ears. You cant go wrong with either set IMO and your best bet if you havent would be to demo them at local shops
Old 03-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
I'm wanting to do:

Eclipse 8443 HU or Alpine 9835 HU
Focal or Diamond Audio 6.5" Components
JL 10W6V2 w/stealthbox from the awesome Subthump.com
JL 450/4 amp

Any opinions on the front stage selections of the Focal or Diamond Audio components?
I would definitly go with the Eclipse unit, Alpine has never pleased me very much. I notice that you are looking for higher end components which I commend, it's not ALL about the bass. Have you taken a look at DynAudio? Their stuff simply rocks my socks. It is a tad more expensive to purchase, but beleive me it more than makes up for the difference in price with performance.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got the Eclipse unit, pretty PIMP
Old 03-24-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Levi, I have always loved and ran Eclipse decks........ I have ran hex Component sets and loved them..... look on my webpage of my old TA.... I love Eclipse subs also..... but when i heard Focal Utopia..... i was like no way....... I run there Utopia line all around. 165W fronts inthe stock door locations amd they are truly the best sounding set i have ever owned..... I also went with there sub in a vented enclosure.... there 33WX......Watch out though.... a bit pricey.. i believe the 165W's are $1250 and the 33WX retails for $1385 i believe.... i used to work at a shop so im not sure at what currnet pricing is...... I know i love mine though...
Kyle
Old 03-24-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Levi, I might have a system of interest for you.... E-mail me at tschneider5@***.net if you are interested.....

Headunit: Alpine 9815

Front speakers: Focal 165K Polykevlar components

Rear speakers: JL TR 5.25

Amplifier: JL 500/5

Subwoofer: JL 8W7

Custom box for C5 FRC

A 99' FRC is what the system is out of.... I have used it now, probably a total of three hours tops.. It was installed about a week ago.. It sounds UNBELIEVABLE!!!! ALL for $1800 FIRM PLUS ACTUAL fedex ground shipping.. This system is VERY clean sounding!!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

98, the only portions of your system I'd need are the Focals and JL 500/5
Old 03-25-2004, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

hey i think thats a greag setup but this will be alot better imho,
eclipse head unit (any one there all great, but i got the tv , im drawing a blank on the model #)

2 12'' solo baric l7s
1 fared cap,
memphis 1500.1d amp(NASSSSTYYYY)
fanatic q component highs all around
forget about rear speakers there garvage. unless you wanna do the fanatic q's
eclipse 2 channell amp i think its a 150x2 only for rear components
and the eclipse 4 channel 150x4
optima red top
2 gauge and if you have an underdrive pulley take it the **** off lol
also i know many dont like the solobarics cause they arent tight, but wire them up to 8 ohms and they sound sick,
if you wanna have em destroy your rear hatch then bring it to 1 ohm.
This is the set up im runnin if your in the CT area shoot me a pm and you can check it out. im not tryin to sound cocky about it but in all honesty its one of the loudest systems ive ever heard.