Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

gauge issues... no tach, fuel, or temp but others work

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default gauge issues... no tach, fuel, or temp but others work

'99 TA, daily driver... 500+ miles a week. I got in it this morning to leave for work and now I've got gauge issues... no previous issues at all.

Tach doesn't work (but does come up to zero when you start the car or turn the key forward)
Fuel gauge doesn't worked... pegged below "E"
Water temp doesn't worked... pegged below lowest number.

*Speedometer and digital trip/odometer both work fine. Voltage gauges works and so does oil pressure.

**Also, the lights for "check gauges", "TCS OFF", "Service Vehicle", and "AIRBAG" are all on... maybe another 1 or 2 I'm forgetting.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!!!

-Jeremy
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Here's a picture... looks like ABS INOP as well. BRAKE light is on bc ebrake is pulled.
Attached Thumbnails gauge issues... no tach, fuel, or temp but others work-ta-gages.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oil pressure doesnt go to the pcm..its a direct connection to the sensor, so it works no matter what

the speedo will work because the VSS is handled thru its own wire...its not part of teh data stream that everything else is using...

either you have blown a fuse somewhere, or the data line has gotten disconnected/cut
or possibly just a bad cluster..

also, if the data bus has been clogged up with something, it wont know whats up...
example being, on my 97 achieva...if I have HP Tuners connected and write to the car, if I dont physically unplug it before starting it, it ties up the data bus and my gauges wont work...but as soon as I unplug it, they all come back..LOL
Old 01-27-2012, 07:41 AM
9 Second Club

I forgot to update this the other night... I found that a mouse had somehow gotten to the grommet and wires under the PCM on the passenger side firewall. It almost chewed through 2 wires and destroyed the grommet. I repaired the wiring and all is well... not sure what to do about the grommet, haven't found one yet.

Quick Reply: gauge issues... no tach, fuel, or temp but others work