Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need some help with stereo setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some help with stereo setup

I am looking to get sail panel speakers and rear speakers. Right now all I have is these Boston Acoustics Z6 the speakers/tweeters run to crossovers to amp. Its a 4 channel amp I have two channels bridged for the sub.

So my questions are what is the best way to add these speakers to my set up?
Also these speakers are pretty kick ***, should I make sure I get something that will keep up or should I not worry about that?

Here is a pic of the set up

Please help if anyone has recommendations I am kinda of a noob.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your goals for your setup? Are you trying to get more sound? Better imaging? Sound quality?

Most people who are going for sound quality (myself included) do not use rear rear fill. Especially in a car with an interior size like an fbody, the front stage only is an optimum setup.

If you are stuck on using a rear fill then we could go from there but its really just a waste of time/money in my opinion and you could get better satisfaction by using it elsewhere.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

People disagree on the benefits of rear-fill and mid-bass in the sail panels. Personally, I think the original design was pretty good but GM just used some pretty crappy components. Simply buying some better appropriate aftermarket pieces to fill the same roles, scaled proportionally, as originally intended can make your system sound much, much better.

I'm guessing you bought some full range speakers for the sails. I'd put mid-bass drivers in there or nothing at all. Driving something full range larger than the original 4" speakers in the hatch area will rival your door channels and draw the soundstage rearward. You could put those Boston components in the sails and crank your fader forward but it'd be a waste of decent speakers.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so I did some research and I think I am going to get another set of BA Z6 component speakers for the sail panel and delete the rears. Now I plan to run these to a second 4 channel amp, and use my old amp for sub. Would this work? Thanks for the help
Old 02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Yes it would work but not sure why you would want components in the sails? This will pull your sound stage right past you and cause listening fatigue (unless you faded the sails out a decent amount but that would defeat the purpose of having them there).

Mounting them would require cutting a hole somewhere or making a pod etc. for the tweeter.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by strokerrace
Yes it would work but not sure why you would want components in the sails? This will pull your sound stage right past you and cause listening fatigue (unless you faded the sails out a decent amount but that would defeat the purpose of having them there).

Mounting them would require cutting a hole somewhere or making a pod etc. for the tweeter.
Well I am not sure still noob with this stuff. How will it do that?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Launching!

This basically explains part of it:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=97530

If you want to use rear fill do as Capricio suggested and get some mid bass drivers.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so even though I will have all four same speakers the rears may over power my fronts? I just figured getting same ones would be good because I know they are great for what I listen to. Thanks for your help man!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless you have some extra component BAs laying around that you really are intent on using, just put some midbass cones in the sails, components in the doors, and 4" two ways in the hatch or nothing in the hatch. Some people are happy with just the door channels alone. if you want to drive all six positions and a sub, you'll need at least 7 amp channels or re-use the Monsoon amp for some of it. If using a sub with separate mid-bass sails with aftermarket amps, you have do a little planning on how your crossovers will work and what amps will give you those features. The factory monsoon amp does all the LPF/crossover stuff for you.

What is your budget? What brands do you like? Are you looking for quality or volume? How much bass do you need? How much power?

You're asking the forum if they like your plan, and it may work well enough for you but it's not typical and generally not well received.

Dennis and Ian, both sponsors, have some well thought out balanced packages for different budget levels. Even if you don't like the brands they carry, you can look at some well designed professional packages and get some ideas, and honestly their prices are pretty good.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont really have a budget, I want quality of sound, I have boston acoustic z6 components already and BA G2 10" sub. I dont need a ton of power I usually just listen to rock/metal and crank it up a bit but love the quality and clarity of the music. Maybe I miss spoke but my old camaro had BA z6 speakers in doors and no other speakers. Alpine head unit and amp to my BA G2 sub. Well it was totaled so I took my radio out to put in my new camaro and want to have at least 4 speakers instead of 2. So I was trying to figure out best way to add another back set to my system. Make sense?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The "best" way to add some fill in the rear is just get a set of decent 4" full range speakers and put them in the old hatch positions. If you want more than just a fill effect, and it sounds like you do, go for it, but you're going against the grain of conventional audiophile wisdom.

In my own car, I have a CDT 6.5" components in the doors, some cheapo Audiopipe 4" full range speakers in the hatch, all driven by a 4 channel full range class D Pioneer amp. ~75 W RMS/channel. I tilt the fader forward and don't obsess about music coming at me from all directions... just enough to make the left and right door channels not seem totally directional in nature. That is the purpose of "fill" from the rear, not to rival the sound coming from the doors. The door channels are the stars, anything behind the front seat is supporting cast.

I have CDT HD carbon SVC midbass cones in the sails. They run 100-300 Hz, with signal crossovers provided by a combination of amp and HU HPF/LFP settings. They are driven by a 2 channel JL class D full range. ~80 W RMS/chan

I had a 10" CDT cone in a stealth enclosure in the back driven by a Kenwood class D monoblock. ~300 W RMS mono

Then I got a a 12" RE SEX in a ported enclosure, with a hifonics brutus class D monoblock ~600 RMS. ...more bass than a human can use for music in such a small cabin. It runs 30-100 Hz, just enough to overlap the midbass drivers and blend them in.

I don't know what else to to tell you. It sounds like you are gonna run four 6.5's no matter what anyone says here... and like I said, if you like it that way, go for it.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

No i was just trying to get a better understanding, thanks so much for your help sounds like I just need to try and get some full ranged then
Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if you're trying to get ideal sound at a lower volume, you need to get a better front amp, a set of JBL 660GTi components, and have someone glass them into your door panels.

Quick Reply: Need some help with stereo setup