Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Easiest way to disable door dinger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Easiest way to disable door dinger?

I'm not a fan of the dinger that sounds when the key is in the ignition and the door is open. It was easy to disable on my last car. What is the easiest way to disable it in my 2000 WS6?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull out the key just a little bit. That's what I do.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a new head unit and an amp, I believe chime is through the front door speakers and runs through the stock head unit
Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, chime is in the BCM. Unlike newer vehicles, replacing the HU will not affect the chimes. Disconnecting the light green wire in position C14 of the blue 32-pin connector at the BCM will eliminate the key-in signal. It will not eliminate chimes for seat belt, headlights, etc.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Is the problem that you don't like the chime while you are working on the car?

I like the chime as its saved me many times from locking the key in the car during normal driving, etc.

When I work on the car, I just take a screw driver and press down the door latch to make the car "think" that its closed. When I'm done, I just put the screw driver back in, pull on the door handle, and then flip the latch back open so I can close the door.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, chime is in the BCM. Unlike newer vehicles, replacing the HU will not affect the chimes. Disconnecting the light green wire in position C14 of the blue 32-pin connector at the BCM will eliminate the key-in signal. It will not eliminate chimes for seat belt, headlights, etc.
Sexy.

Originally Posted by wssix99
Is the problem that you don't like the chime while you are working on the car?

I like the chime as its saved me many times from locking the key in the car during normal driving, etc.

When I work on the car, I just take a screw driver and press down the door latch to make the car "think" that its closed. When I'm done, I just put the screw driver back in, pull on the door handle, and then flip the latch back open so I can close the door.
To be honest, I just don't like noises and lights that react to my presence or lack thereof when it comes to my vehicles. I'd also like to stop the interior lights from coming on when I open my doors. My 3000GT has that ability built into its light system with the click of a button and the dinger was just a plug behind the radio I had to disconnect.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
I'd also like to stop the interior lights from coming on when I open my doors. My 3000GT has that ability built into its light system with the click of a button and the dinger was just a plug behind the radio I had to disconnect.
I'd think that you could just unplug the door latch sensors in each door and then jump the connectors. That would make the car "think" that the doors were closed at all times and would keep the chimes and lights from responding.

I'm sure the NHTSA wouldn't approve of this, though.

Quick Reply: Easiest way to disable door dinger?