Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 05-20-2016, 01:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Wanting to replace rear view mirror courtesy lights with LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Wanting to replace rear view mirror courtesy lights with LEDs

How? How do you get the rearview mirror apart properly? I've searched using "LED REAR VIEW MIRROR" but don't get the info I need.
Have any of you done this mod?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-09-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't take my rear view mirror apart... only removed the clear-ish light covers. Maybe I used a flat head? It's been a while. I hate the mod, honestly. My LEDs don't provide enough light. Maybe I purchased the wrong ones or something, because a friend of mine with an Accord has easily twice as much light as stock, while I probably have half the light as stock.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Dang.. that's too bad. I'll give the small flathead a chance. A bud of mine back in 2003 had done it to his '95 and the light was great. Wish I could relocate him. He's somewhere in Tx now. Thanks for the response though!

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
I didn't take my rear view mirror apart... only removed the clear-ish light covers. Maybe I used a flat head? It's been a while. I hate the mod, honestly. My LEDs don't provide enough light. Maybe I purchased the wrong ones or something, because a friend of mine with an Accord has easily twice as much light as stock, while I probably have half the light as stock.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

After 30 minutes of slowly building frustration trying to get those out, I finally crushed them with some needle nose and pulled them out by the filament. Took 2 minutes I used a paper plate to catch the glass and looked away so I wouldn't get glass in my eye. Wasn't the "best" method, but it worked!

To the guy who said it isn't worth it, i have a 2002 TA so it takes a wedge base LED as opposed to a festoon style for other models. From superbrightleds I bought the WLED-XP9-T for $12.95 a piece and these suckers are bright! Try these out (if they are your style of bulb)

Here is a pic. This doesn't do them justice, but you get the idea

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-11-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old 03-10-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a flathead also. Just take the clear covers off.. And my LED bulbs didn't fit exactly right. They flicker from time to time. Fit kinda loose.

It's actually a little easier if you just take the rearview off the windshield and work on it that way.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can get them out with the small flathead. I appreciate the part number too!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
After 30 minutes of slowly building frustration trying to get those out, I finally crushed them with some needle nose and pulled them out by the filament. Took 2 minutes I used a paper plate to catch the glass and looked away so I wouldn't get glass in my eye. Wasn't the "best" method, but it worked!

To the guy who said it isn't worth it, i have a 2002 TA so it takes a wedge base LED as opposed to a festoon style for other models. From superbrightleds I bought the WLED-XP9-T for $12.95 a piece and these suckers are bright! Try these out (if they are your style of bulb)
I also put in LED's and they are great!

bigbomber5 - are you sure about that part number? I can't find it. In my car, I recall using 2 of their 4410-R9 bulbs for the mirror.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

4410's are festoons I believe (glass tube style). If your mirror is pre 2000 ( I think that's the year) then you have festoon style bulbs. 2001 and 2002, like mine, have the wedge base bulb style

The bulb number is wrong, I left out a letter
WLED-xHP9-T (LED T10 wedge base bulb for $12.95 each)
That part number should help you better

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-11-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 PM

Default noose

the easy way to get these bulbs out is with a light piece of twine.
make a small noose on the end and loop it over the bulb pull and wiggle and its out.
Now if someone can tell me what the right number led bulb to replace it with
i'd be very grateful.
The number of the bulb that is in the mirror is 192 e.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by t1spacelord
the easy way to get these bulbs out is with a light piece of twine.
make a small noose on the end and loop it over the bulb pull and wiggle and its out.
Now if someone can tell me what the right number led bulb to replace it with
i'd be very grateful.
The number of the bulb that is in the mirror is 192 e.
I am not sure what year your car is, but mine is an '02 WS6, and I replaced them with 194 LEDs from superbrightleds.com
Old 03-27-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/photo-15.jpg
Your pic already looks 100 times better than what my LEDs are putting out. Just found my receipt from SuperBrightLEDs... I purchased two WLED-x6 LED bulb-Cool White WLED-CW6 0.95. Yeah I don't recommend those particular bulbs. They were a quarter of the price you paid. You get what you pay for!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn, wish mine took the wedge type. The LED festoons arent that bright
Old 11-05-2018, 05:14 PM

Yeah I've been looking everywhere on the internet and literally no one has any tutorials on how to remove the light bulbs in a rearview mirror. I have a 2005 Chevy Impala and I was trying to replace them with LED lights...

Quick Reply: Wanting to replace rear view mirror courtesy lights with LEDs