Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alpine HU and SPS-610c speakers. Installation goof?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine HU and SPS-610c speakers. Installation goof?

Hey all. I purchased a really nice alpine hu and some sps 610c speakers a couple of weeks ago at best buy (I work for geek squad and get a good discount on car audio) and had the hu installed with no issues. The radio turned out to be defective and I exchanged it for the same thing. The auto tech at my store was on vacation this week so I had the next nearest location install my radio since I already paid for the installation previously. I also had them install the alpine speakers. The guys at this other store were rude when I tried to tell them about a set of factory crossovers being wired into the door panels already. The Alpine components also have crossovers bult into the speakers. They didn't listen to me and did it their way. The speakers sound like **** and are barely audible. I also started smelling electrical burning on the drive home and turned everything off. I'm going to raise hell with their manager tomorrow about this. Is there anything I can do to fix the alpine speakers, or should I return them and get a Kee audio package? I was going to buy sail panel subs from kee instead of the whole kit because the alpine components were so cheap with my discount. I'm regretting not getting the whole package. I don't know what the hell these guys were thinking.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They owe you new set of speakers and install.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ugh never trust Best Buy "auto techs", you have no idea how many systems i get that are messed up because of their shoddy install's. your fine as far as getting speakers from Best Buy with your discount, but I'd strongly reccomend for you to install everthing your self as you will for sure do better work on your own car opposed to some guy at Best Buy with basically no real training. Best Buy steals alot of people's money with car audio install, its ridiculous. there's a reason their install prices are set and really cheap as well. the saying you get what you pay for comes to mind

those alpine components don't have x-overs built into the speakers, they come with an external crossover network to be used inbetween the amp and speakers. If I were you, I'd buy an Alpine MRP-F300 for dirt cheap with your discount, and run the fronts and subs off of it and just use the power from your new headunit to power the rears. this will vastly improve volume and sound quality because you will have added real amplification instead of some IC's in the monsoon amp which will sell on ebay no prob

I would get my money on the speaker install back and just jump right in and do it yourself. its kind of intimidating at first but its really very simple, especially for someone who works for geeksquad and knows their way around electronics, besides that its just dealing with some screws and running a few wires. check out the soundmancaraudio channel on youtube, they have a bunch of web shows of them doing installs on different cars, thier are over 100 video's and they will teach you the dos and don't real quick the older ones are more informative as far as installation vs comedy with some car audio
Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I should have done it myself since the auto tech at my store was on vacation. I'm never stepping foot in the other store again. The guy at my store is excellent and does great work. He installed my stereo originally, and when I pulled it out to swap for a non-defective unit I was shocked to see one of the most meticulous wiring jobs ever. I'm going to ask him about installing a kee audio package for me when he gets back Tuesday. He charges for a basic speaker install on employee cars that are already wired for components, so the labor is cheap and it can be done while I'm already at work. I think I'll keep the monsoon amp until it burns out and get a stealth box with a 10" comp vr. Just gotta find me a good mono amp for it. Does this sound like a good route to take? I've just heard so many great things about the simple plug n play kee packages. I've installed a few stereos and speakers before. I won't be so lazy one day when I lose that discount

Last edited by Beastmode89; 03-18-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly since you get equipment so cheap, i'd skip the Kee package and just leave the factory subs and rears for now and add that Alpine amp, it will be at $100 tops with your discount and the wiring another $40 and the difference will be night and day. it will allow for everything to be set to eliminate distortion going to the speakers and will lead to a much louder and cleaner system gaurnteed.

as far as the sub and amp go, the best sub Best Buy sells is the Alpine type R by a huge margin. the type r has become to be known as the best bang for buck sub out there. they can handle twice their RMS rating in stride and will bump nice and clean. only problem is that a sealed box just doesnt do them justice, for your car 1 10" ported on an Alpine MRP-M1000 will be awesome. you should be able to get that Alpine M1000 for around $250 and the sub around $120 which is a hell of alot of system for the price. i mean a really nice system! kicker is more just for volume and no SQ what so ever especially when looking at product lines below the L3/L5/L7

but for sure skip upgrading the rear for now, they're just there for fill all the music comes from the front and its a waist of cash. I build $15k systems with no rears, and the results are way better. and if you trust the guy at your store, then its definatly nice to be able to have your **** installed while you work
Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

I do need to replace my sail panel speakers though. They rattle and pop like hell. Too bad best buy doesn't really carry anything for those

Quick Reply: Alpine HU and SPS-610c speakers. Installation goof?