Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

gauge cluster and radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauge cluster and radio problem

so i have a 1998 trans am an had some more work done at a shop (very well known shop, but not naming names) an after the car was finished my radio, milage display and trunk release no longer work. and im not certain if my dummy lights on the cluster itself work either. i didnt notice that these things didnt work until months after the work was done since i never drive the car so dont really wantto go bitching at the shop. if anyone has any ideas please let me know. i have another pcm that im going to try an will check the wiring harness down by the pass. kick panel to make sure it got plugged in all the way. other then those two things i am completly stumped. thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Fuse?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

yea i checked all the fuses an relays. everything is good.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Save the manuals!

I have to ask... Did you check to make sure the techs working on your car just didn't turn down the interior light dimmer switch? That will cut all of those lights off.

If the dimmer is up, you might check the electrical at the switch. It could be bad.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trunk releases can go bad in cars with big bass...I've replaced mine twice now in the Impala

as far as the lights...it could be the dimmer wire that goes to the factory headunit, a new aftermarket one would most likely not have an input for the dimmer, try grounding it
Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

yes the dimmer switch works just fine.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Save the manuals!

So, the dimmer switch dims all the lights, just not the ones that are out?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:18 AM
Staging Lane

mo lights were out. just the numbers wouldnt light up on odometer an the radio wouldnt power on. but it is fixed now. i found the the connection on the power accessory fuse was bad. put a new piece of wire an connector in an now everything works great. so a lil trick was learned. pull that fuse an u wont rack up miles on ur car. bud u wont have a radio either unless u hardwire it. but atleast it all works again.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:26 PM

I too had the SAME exact problem as you. No radio, no odometer, and no hatch release with fob or button under the dash. I looked high and low for 3 hours thinking it was a connection problem I had pulled loose some where. I checked all of the power reading at the radio hatch and had 12.3 volts. I was stumped. I looked on wire diagrams and thought it was the courtesy fuse since that linked all together from what I read. I tried searching for this problem on line and i'm really glad you had the same problem and had a fix. I went to the power acc. fuse pulled it out and it was blown. Thank you! Now my trunk pops and radio is blasting and odometer works.

Quick Reply: gauge cluster and radio problem