Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kee Audio?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kee Audio?

has anyone bought from this guy? My speakers have blown and i am debating weather to A: Get a speaker set up from kee audio and leave the stock head unit and amp or B: Get new headunit new speakers and bypass factory amp. Option B is alot more money. Any input is welcome.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

I bought the Premium Replacement Speaker System from Ian a couple of months ago. He was great to deal with. The speakers sound great though I could use more power.

I wasn't sure what package I wanted and after a couple of emails asking him questions I made my decision. He even sent recommendations and links to help me with the installation.

I will be contacting him in the future when I change from the stock head unit and amp.

Todd
Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Teching In

I was trying to decide which package would be good for me too. How did u decide?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my complete system from Ian. Head unit, cdt replacement speakers, amp, and 2 10s. Very knowledgeable guy and will help steer you in the direction you are wanting to go with what you want to achieve.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brandt025
I was trying to decide which package would be good for me too. How did u decide?
I would email Ian and tell him what you are looking for in a system. Here is what I told him and his response that helped me decide.

I have a 2002 Camaro SS with the stock Monsoon system. I need to replace the speakers and have been looking at your 4th Generation Camaro Standard Speaker Package with Upgraded CDT Subwoofers and the 4th Generation Camaro Premium Replacement Speaker System and I am not sure which package would be best for me.

I plan on keeping the Monsoon until something goes wrong with it and then look at what is available. I have no need for a sub or an extremely loud system, (I value my hearing).

The car has the center mount exhaust, cold air induction, and plenty of road noise from the tires so I am not trying to equal the performance of my home audio system which is worth about as much as the car. I just want a decent upgrade from stock that will last.

Since most speakers are damaged by driving the amp into distortion or clipping which system would require less power to get to a volume level high enough to overcome the noise @ 70 mph?

If they are equal do you think the Premium Replacement Speaker System would last longer because of the better speakers.

Ian's answer:

The upgraded standard package has the same speakers with the exception of the door speakers as the premium package. I did this at the request of a few members on LS1Tech that wanted the CDT subs but didn't think it necessary for the upgraded door speakers. I went ahead and threw in the CDT rear 4" in that package as well so it is a great value.

That being said the EU-61 door components are exceptional. They feature a larger voice coil, larger magnet and a cast frame instead of stamped steel. They are quite an upgrade and are normally a $299.99 set of speakers by themselves. That particular set are the ones I had in my Trans Am on 100watts each speaker and were hit very hard in demo situations. I never had an issue with them. They are also the same speakers that I used in my best friends 02 WS6 Trans Am and Whitebird who is a moderator on Tech also has these in his car back when they were called the CL-E61 set.

The regular CL-61 is still a nice set of speakers and use the same type of phase plug design the EU uses. They just don;t handle quite as much power due to a smaller magnet and voice coil. They still perform well and handle the stock system fine. I am able to push the EU harder though, even with the stock system they sound almost aftermarket powered with the stock amp.

Todd
Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002ss335
I would email Ian and tell him what you are looking for in a system. Here is what I told him and his response that helped me decide.

I have a 2002 Camaro SS with the stock Monsoon system. I need to replace the speakers and have been looking at your 4th Generation Camaro Standard Speaker Package with Upgraded CDT Subwoofers and the 4th Generation Camaro Premium Replacement Speaker System and I am not sure which package would be best for me.

I plan on keeping the Monsoon until something goes wrong with it and then look at what is available. I have no need for a sub or an extremely loud system, (I value my hearing).

The car has the center mount exhaust, cold air induction, and plenty of road noise from the tires so I am not trying to equal the performance of my home audio system which is worth about as much as the car. I just want a decent upgrade from stock that will last.

Since most speakers are damaged by driving the amp into distortion or clipping which system would require less power to get to a volume level high enough to overcome the noise @ 70 mph?

If they are equal do you think the Premium Replacement Speaker System would last longer because of the better speakers.

Ian's answer:

The upgraded standard package has the same speakers with the exception of the door speakers as the premium package. I did this at the request of a few members on LS1Tech that wanted the CDT subs but didn't think it necessary for the upgraded door speakers. I went ahead and threw in the CDT rear 4" in that package as well so it is a great value.

That being said the EU-61 door components are exceptional. They feature a larger voice coil, larger magnet and a cast frame instead of stamped steel. They are quite an upgrade and are normally a $299.99 set of speakers by themselves. That particular set are the ones I had in my Trans Am on 100watts each speaker and were hit very hard in demo situations. I never had an issue with them. They are also the same speakers that I used in my best friends 02 WS6 Trans Am and Whitebird who is a moderator on Tech also has these in his car back when they were called the CL-E61 set.

The regular CL-61 is still a nice set of speakers and use the same type of phase plug design the EU uses. They just don;t handle quite as much power due to a smaller magnet and voice coil. They still perform well and handle the stock system fine. I am able to push the EU harder though, even with the stock system they sound almost aftermarket powered with the stock amp.

Todd
Thanks for the information, I've been debating on what to buy for weeks, my car is completely gutted right now as I want to replace the carpet, I wanted to kill two birds with one stone and upgrade sound system at the same time.

but I've been debating if I should run an after market amp or the stock amp, I want to do this right and I dont want to rip everything out again.

but there's two many options out there.

five channel amps, one guy says just put a component on the doors and nothing else in rear, another guy says do the standard package, another says do the component fill package. I Just dont know what to do and im running out of patience and have my car in too many pieces.

I have a camaro so to there's no room for tweeters.

I also dont want so big of a system that I would later need to install another battery or cap.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

I just upgraded the stock speakers and it sound great. Unless you want a bigger sub there is no need to go that route imho. Kee has a speaker package for just about every need and I have heard nothing but great things about them and his customer service.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by emenny81
Thanks for the information, I've been debating on what to buy for weeks, my car is completely gutted right now as I want to replace the carpet, I wanted to kill two birds with one stone and upgrade sound system at the same time.

but I've been debating if I should run an after market amp or the stock amp, I want to do this right and I dont want to rip everything out again.

but there's two many options out there.

five channel amps, one guy says just put a component on the doors and nothing else in rear, another guy says do the standard package, another says do the component fill package. I Just dont know what to do and im running out of patience and have my car in too many pieces.

I have a camaro so to there's no room for tweeters.

I also dont want so big of a system that I would later need to install another battery or cap.
Based on my experience you would need more power to the speakers than what the stock headunit/amp have if you want to get the music loud enough to drown out your headers.

I would trust Ian's recommendation once you tell him what your goal is.

Todd
Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 AM
11 Second Club

Bought sail panel subs and front door speakers. When I ordered the basic front door speaker upgrade he said that they were on back order and sent me the premium front door speaker package at no extra charge. Speakers always have worked great for me and of course the great service
Old 04-06-2012, 03:05 AM
TECH Resident

I dealt with Ian too. I went with the premium package. He knows his stuff and he's great to deal with!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Launching!

How do I find this "Ian" dude? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by hevymetalg
How do I find this "Ian" dude? Thanks.
Ian is the proprietor of Kee Audio - a sponsor here.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Thanks whitebird

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kee Audio?