Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Quick double DIN question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Quick double DIN question

I have a Clarion double DIN from an previous vehicle I want to install, so my question is do I get the mounting hardware for a single DIN to use for the install or do I need something else? I'm assuming the single DIN hardware will work, but I just want to make sure before spending the money only to find out it doesn't work. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1again
I have a Clarion double DIN from an previous vehicle I want to install, so my question is do I get the mounting hardware for a single DIN to use for the install or do I need something else? I'm assuming the single DIN hardware will work, but I just want to make sure before spending the money only to find out it doesn't work. Thanks!

no
single din mounting kit will not work with your double din
Old 04-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Launching!

So am I stuck fabbing up some sort of custom mount for it then? Or do you guys sell something to mount one up without having to buy the modified bezel?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll need a modified bezel anyway to make it look and work right...
Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Launching!

I test fit it last night with the stock bezel along with a bezel the deck came with the deck to fill in the gaps on the sides, and it actually fit pretty well. The CD slot was kinda blocked, but since I'm not using it for a CD player that's not an issue to me. If I can figure out how to mount the deck in the cage it'll be damn near perfect.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You might be able to fashion some mounting brackets out of some sheet metal. I have used 1/16" thick aluminum to build brackets for stuff in the past. Doesn't have to be pretty since it is hidden behind the bezel anyway.

Which double DIN unit do you have?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Umm it's some Clarion I bought for my wifes old Santa Fe. It's a pretty decent unit with Bluetooth, iPod control, aux in on the front and back, multiple outputs, all that jazz. I think it was like 280 or something like that. I'm excited to get it in if I can figure out the mount. I have the old plastic mounts that came with the install kit for the truck that I think I might be able to make work with some cutting.