Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

factory radio install

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory radio install

I have a 2000 z-28, I took the aftermarket radio out and want to install a factory head unit. The car was not a monsoon car stock , how hard is it to convert to a monsoon . The car was a base level am/fm with casette, will the factory plug, fit the same head unit with a stock cd player and radio?Is it as simple as getting a different factory head unit and plugging it in?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well for starters, why would you want to revert to a factory radio? Non-monsoons should be interchangeable, but if you wanted to convert to monsoon your gonna need the factory monsoon amps and related wiring, brackets and rear panels as well as those additional speakers at which point you would be much better off with a nice aftermarket headunit and amps to power all the speakers, I'm betting that could be accomplished cheaper then trying to track down all these factory parts.

Also if you get into swapping factory radios you will probably have to deal with anti theft security codes to get it working which can be a PITA.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't possibly imagine a bigger waste of time than installing a factory head unit. BTW, the head unit in a Monsoon car is the same thing as the head unit in a base car.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

To answer the other questions...

If you just want to reinstall a factory head unit without trying to add all the Monsoon parts then yes, you should be able to just plug it in. That's assuming the previous owner didn't hack up the wiring. You can use either a cassette or CD head unit - they are completely interchangeable. You could even install a Firebird HU but it will look odd with the different face color and red illumination and you will lose the automatic volume feature of the Camaro version.