Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Recommend a pair of subs for my Avalanche please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not trying to push you toward the JL, but others may read this thread in the future and i dont want them to have bad info on the sub or brand. The case of the amp it self will rattle, the "t" amps all do. Put a peice of deadener on bottom of the amp itself. You said you like how the Rockford amps look, that's not a reason to buy an amp. They make good power, but are expensive and large. I'd seriously consider the new Alpine MRX-M120 it's a killer amp for the money. It's all you need in a bass amp, even the most SQ concerned will run Alpine X power amps on bass because they are known as a great value. 1200w for $399 retail, never pay retail on car audio.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
Im not trying to push you toward the JL, but others may read this thread in the future and i dont want them to have bad info on the sub or brand. The case of the amp it self will rattle, the "t" amps all do. Put a peice of deadener on bottom of the amp itself. You said you like how the Rockford amps look, that's not a reason to buy an amp. They make good power, but are expensive and large. I'd seriously consider the new Alpine MRX-M120 it's a killer amp for the money. It's all you need in a bass amp, even the most SQ concerned will run Alpine X power amps on bass because they are known as a great value. 1200w for $399 retail, never pay retail on car audio.
If never heard anything about Rockford's rattling. That's new's to me. Funny how you say you're not trying to push me toward's JL but try to steer me away from Rockford's in the next sentence. Maybe that's bad info on the brand?

I hear you and I'm not trying to trash JL, if that's what you like then good. I was close to deciding on a W1, really doesn't look like a bad sub, but I haven't heard many so I really can't say. And I hear you on paying retail. Store retail is even worse. A T1000 can be had for 379 shipped, and those Power series are monsters though, way underrated. Maybe that's why they're big and expensive? That t1000 will probably come rated at closer to 1500 RMS @ 1 ohm,. I could probably up it 4 ohms, still run the subs up to 500 RMS, and the amp not even sweat. It's not just the physical look, but there's some really cool class BD, interference resistance, and constant power technology. The amps are really efficient AND 1 ohm stable if I choose to drop it later on. I've already ran the bass boost **** for a Rockford also and done some other things with the sizing in mind for 'em.

Besides, if you know who Steve Meade is, he's all about Rockford, and I'm a big fan of some of his stuff, and his crazy builds are awesome. I already have some Rockford coaxials in the doors and really like how they sound. Quality stuff to my ears.

Last edited by joblo1978; 05-13-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's 1st hand expirence with the rockford amps, never really noticed it until i heard it on soundman. But i added deadener to the back of one that was in the shop and it was a noticeable difference.

After the wx, the w1 is my least favorite JL, i actually like hertz/audison stuff over a JL but its expensive and hard to find. Jl really isnt that expensive if you go to the right dealer, its not price protected any more. Those tw5s can be had for about $400. But the sundowns will be nice. You would have had more SW options for 8's.

I used an SMD DD-1, its a great device. Steve mead is an SPL guy I like SQ. He does seem to know his stuff tho.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
That's 1st hand expirence with the rockford amps, never really noticed it until i heard it on soundman. But i added deadener to the back of one that was in the shop and it was a noticeable difference.

After the wx, the w1 is my least favorite JL, i actually like hertz/audison stuff over a JL but its expensive and hard to find. Jl really isnt that expensive if you go to the right dealer, its not price protected any more. Those tw5s can be had for about $400. But the sundowns will be nice. You would have had more SW options for 8's.

I used an SMD DD-1, its a great device. Steve mead is an SPL guy I like SQ. He does seem to know his stuff tho.
I actually have a DD-1, haven't gotten the opportunity to use it though. I might have considered the JL, but that W1 is the only one I could have fit in this box. Have you seen those Sundown SA-8's? Stout looking 8 for sure.

I did a quick search for Rockford and buzzing and found one other bit of info. It was on one of the older t1000's.

Did you hear that on one of the newer ones? There aren't any fans or any other moving parts that I know of in the latest power series. I've listened to Rockfords in the store and didn't hear any noise coming from them.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

By the way, what kind of Db do you guys think I'll get from these 10's in that box with 1000 RMS total. Any flexing, is it going to rattle the mirrors and change in the console? Anything I'm going to physically feel and see?

I really don't think I've heard anything like this before.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mirrors yes will vibrate, change in the console won't, your not going to be bending windows or anything. Hard to predict but I'd saw low 130s tops. Get a 1500 or 2000 watt amp. If guys are pushing 1000 to a single sundown then your good to do the same. More power will get better SQ as well as more SPL. Amps are all about distortion, they produce their rated power at a certain amount of distortion using the CEA-2006 standards. So if you had 2 amps pushing the same driver to the same output, an amp with more power will be able to do so at a lower rate of distortion. Distortion is what kills speakers, that's why with a more powerful amp drivers will be louder. So if your wanting a lot of bass and LAN on cranking it a lot I'd go for a bigger amp. The MRX-M240 is my favorite for big power, it will be out soon and I used to use the MRP-m2000 (old version) all of the time. All amps are "underrated" to guarantee the customer gets what they paid for. That's why that doesn't give the RF amp an edge as far as power, if its a good brand they're all like that. So that new m240 will be around 2500w @2 ohms for $699 retail. I used to sell the MRP-m2000 for around $450 to give you an idea. Like I said twice that's 1st hand expirence with those rockfords, whether you believe me or not is on you. It's not moving parts, but like anything else in a car with a lot of bass, stuff vibrates, some more than others.

Quick Reply: Recommend a pair of subs for my Avalanche please.