Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Recommend a pair of subs for my Avalanche please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommend a pair of subs for my Avalanche please.

Not going into an LS car, but an LS truck.

I'm about to order up a Rockford T5001BDCP for the audio system I've been installing in my 2009 Avalanche. All the wiring and support is in and I'm stumped on what subs to go for. Whatever I get I'm probably going to put 200-300 RMS to each at 2ohms I'm hoping. Gotta see what the amp is rated at when it comes in to decide the impedence.

Here's what I'm working with so far. Deck is a JVC KWAVX840, truck is completely sound deadened with Raammat and closed cell foam. Gonna tune it up with a DD-1.

In the sealed box I have .72 cubes per side and 5" of mounting depth. The holes are drilled for 10"s and I listen to rock and heavy metal. This is a quality box guys, rhinolined, bolted in and heavy.

I've considered and bounced back and forth between the following.

-New 2012 Rockford P3 shallows. These don't seem to go lower than 40Hz and I've heard there are better subs for the money. Don't want a "shallow" if I don't need one. Looks like they lack Xmax

-JL 10W1V2's. These look good. Heard lots of good things about JL. Lower than 40 HZ. It's semi "shallow" but not a typical compressed sub. There's no pole vent so it should work fine.

-Polk MM1040's. These look good too and also not a super "shallow" sup. Lower than 40Hz also. Seems to have more excursion than the others and handles more power. Nothing but good reviews on these.

This is my first time doing something like this guys. Never installed anything worth a damn in the TA. Too heavy, but now I got something I can get something decent into, I've sort of run into a roadblock and can't seem to make a decision.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Launching!

For that small a box I'd go with a Dayton HO.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JL all the way. They are at the top of their game. Hertz also make awesome subs, it they're real pricey. That said, I prefer the JL W0v3 to the w1, way better SQ and similar output.

That amp is really expensive for 500w x1 @2. Id get a PDX m6 for the same price and extra 100 watts of cleaner power. Alpine amps are built very well and are tiny especially compared to that RF. or even just get an MRX-M55 for less money and still more power than the RF.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fspeedster
For that small a box I'd go with a Dayton HO.
Any reason why? Have you heard them all? I'm really leaning towards those Polks. Those things look like they really move.

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
JL all the way. They are at the top of their game. Hertz also make awesome subs, it they're real pricey. That said, I prefer the JL W0v3 to the w1, way better SQ and similar output.

That amp is really expensive for 500w x1 @2. Id get a PDX m6 for the same price and extra 100 watts of cleaner power. Alpine amps are built very well and are tiny especially compared to that RF. or even just get an MRX-M55 for less money and still more power than the RF.
I'm pretty much set on the Rockford Amps. They have some features and a look that I really like. I'm sure the Rockford Power is going to come rated close to 600 if not over. I'm more interested in someone helping me select the subs. Besides that WO is too deep for me to fit. I can't go deeper than 4.5".
Old 05-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

JL W3's!!!
I had two 12's in my cavalier and those things were crazy
Old 05-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArticFormula
JL W3's!!!
I had two 12's in my cavalier and those things were crazy
I guess this was the wrong place to ask. I would need close to 7" of depth. I guess you guys aren't too familiar with fitting subs in a truck.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

I just found the Sundown Audio SD-2 series. These look they'll take a **** all over everything I've looked at so far! Why did no one mention these to me?

They're throwing over a 1000 to one 10" and can't blow it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pK_rVrm81D8

Looks like I'm going to have to go more than a T500, more like a T1000, they're rated at 500RMS each.

You guys think they'll shake the truck down good?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you looking for SQ or SPL? X max isn't everything. One of the best SQ subs around is the thin JL 13tw5. They sound a lot like a w6 and take the same power. Your box specs are right on the money and they're 2.5" deep. I recently did a Jeep SRT 392 with a pair of the 13tw5's each on an Alpine MRX-m12 and it bumped so tight and clean and hit hard.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Banned

Are you looking for SQ or SPL? X max isn't everything. One of the best SQ subs around is the thin JL 13tw5. They sound a lot like a w6 and take the same power. Your box specs are right on the money and they're 2.5" deep. I recently did a Jeep SRT 392 with a pair of the 13tw5's each on an Alpine MRX-m12 and it bumped so tight and clean and hit hard.
Box specs are not even close. The box already has two 9 inch holes in it and dual chambers. How could I possibly fit a JL 13?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Box specs are not even close. The box already has two 9 inch holes in it and dual chambers. How could I possibly fit a JL 13?
Um you cut a bigger hole. Or pay someone who can. Was talking volume.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned

Um you cut a bigger hole. Or pay someone who can. Was talking volume.
Nah, can't really cut a bigger hole either. I'm not willing to fork out scratch for one of those JL's let alone two. Besides there's some decorative trim around the holes. Couldn't do it without hacking the box up.

To be honest this is my first time really doing something like this. Space and money are obstacles obviously. I'm not really sure what I want really. I honestly have no idea what it's going to be like in the truck once I get it all finished. It's difficult to demo anything. Not many shallow mounts around here and they're in generic boxes, gains probably aren't set right. And I haven't had a chance to really listen to anyone with a decent stereo in their car.

From what I hear shallow subs are generally pretty lackluster. I'm going for the most SQ and pound I can get out of space I have available with the box I have.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Most sq and "pound" possible doesn't go well with budget oriented. Those JL thin subs sounds as good as a w6 which is arguably the most popular SQ sub around. Since the cone is 13.5" they will hit really low and hard. Sundown subs aren't the best on SQ, they make some good stuff like the new sa-8 is pretty nice but that's the only one I likeOAS much as a JL or Hertz. Look into some hertz energy 10s that would be a great option as well for a lot less cash. They won't hit as hard as th tw5s but they have awesome SQ.

Your box would most definetly work with the 13s, I've done it in the escalade version of your truck.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Any reason why? Have you heard them all? I'm really leaning towards those Polks. Those things look like they really move.

I'm pretty much set on the Rockford Amps. They have some features and a look that I really like. I'm sure the Rockford Power is going to come rated close to 600 if not over. I'm more interested in someone helping me select the subs. Besides that WO is too deep for me to fit. I can't go deeper than 4.5".
Google "Dayton HO," I'm a member at two different Audio forums and this Sub is highly recommended at both sites. The Sundown is a great Sub and so are the JL's but with your airspace (remember that you have to subtract the air space that the sub takes up from the total air space) id go with something different. I've only heard one so far and I was amazed, I'm now planing to do a single 10" in a ported enclosure for my SS.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Banned

Most sq and "pound" possible doesn't go well with budget oriented. Those JL thin subs sounds as good as a w6 which is arguably the most popular SQ sub around. Since the cone is 13.5" they will hit really low and hard. Sundown subs aren't the best on SQ, they make some good stuff like the new sa-8 is pretty nice but that's the only one I likeOAS much as a JL or Hertz. Look into some hertz energy 10s that would be a great option as well for a lot less cash. They won't hit as hard as th tw5s but they have awesome SQ.

Your box would most definetly work with the 13s, I've done it in the escalade version of your truck.
I've read that those DS-2's reminded others of the old JL W6. I've also read some of the reviews on that 13.5 and others said they had some pretty slow response. For the price I read some pretty **** poor reviews. I don't understand a different between SPL and SQ and how subs can be designed for one or the other. The purpose of either or is to duplicate the original recording right? This is a sealed box and not ported, it's not geared towards massive SPL groundpounder, my build never was. But I definitely want some headroom, want to feel it, have a quality sound, maybe impress a couple along the way, and to have more than I will actually use. Maybe I would be perfectly happy with some shallow Pioneers, I don't know, like I said, never done this before.

I guess everything that I'm asking is subjective and I'm just going to have to make a choice based on what I've found so far. But whatever I use it's going to have to be a 10" speaker that requires a mounting depth of 5". I'm not going to modify the box in any way. I've heard some "mainstream" 10's before and it sounded plenty to me.

Seems like not many people are familiar with Sundown. This SD-2 is a fairly new release and as of now I've heard nothing bad about them. Even after an installation in my .7 chambers I still have over the minimum requirement which is .5. Sub displacement is only .08. Qts. rating is also in the range ideal for a sealed box. It's a little bit more than I expected and as far as I know is the deepest sub I could possibly fit in the box I have. That SD-2 just looks badass. Huge magnet!

A video can only show so much but here's one, he seemed to be pretty happy with them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYiu8bwptxU

Sound pretty smoothe here too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0-Et...endscreen&NR=1

And another with which seem to have a better mic. Looks like an SQ oriented setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekIS...ure=plpp_video

And the videos of them guys trying to blow 'em up and failing. Looks like some stout woofers to me. I was pretty much sold on that. People blow JL's all the time.

I've also looked at the dayton HO's. The only one I could run is their shallow requiring only 3.1 inches. That DS-2 is over 1.5 inches deeper.

Can anyone give me a reason NOT to go with these DS-2 subwoofers off 1000 watts?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

I've heard good things about the Boston Acoustics g310-44.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Look into the diamond audio d1104.2 subs, very cheap and sound better the most stuff out there
Old 05-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nitrous addict
Look into the diamond audio d1104.2 subs, very cheap and sound better the most stuff out there
Doesn't even look like you can get those anymore. I'm willing to spend a little bit more than those anyway.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wav3form
I've heard good things about the Boston Acoustics g310-44.

Yeah, they look nice. Not enough room. Even the G1 won't leave enough clearance behind the pole vent.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

No ones trying to give you a reason not to go for the sundown, its just sundown isnt know for SQ. To say its hard to blow a sundown is fine but to say its easy to blow a JL is wrong. Its easy to blow any speaker if you dont know what your doing. If you just throw a sub in a prefab on a cheap amp without enough power and the gain up to much it will get blown. People kill speakers not amps. Whatever reviews youve read giving the tw5 a bad review is simply not true, ive never read a bad review and love those subs even compaired to my 10w7s they are nice subs. What does slow response mean? Ive never heard a speaker described as slow. If you end up getting a rockford amp make sure you dynamat it, the power they make is legit but they rattle like hell.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Banned

No ones trying to give you a reason not to go for the sundown, its just sundown isnt know for SQ. To say its hard to blow a sundown is fine but to say its easy to blow a JL is wrong. Its easy to blow any speaker if you dont know what your doing. If you just throw a sub in a prefab on a cheap amp without enough power and the gain up to much it will get blown. People kill speakers not amps. Whatever reviews youve read giving the tw5 a bad review is simply not true, ive never read a bad review and love those subs even compaired to my 10w7s they are nice subs. What does slow response mean? Ive never heard a speaker described as slow. If you end up getting a rockford amp make sure you dynamat it, the power they make is legit but they rattle like hell.
Doesn't matter how good that jl is or isn't, I simply am not willing to buy or go through the pita to fit it. Tell me what sundown is known for? My truck is completely sound deadened, but what does that have to do with Rockford amps?

I got a response from that guy on YouTube with the sq setup I posted above. He Said the sundowns will easily outperform the other subs I've mentioned above.

Thanks guys but that is the route i think I'm going. If anyone is interested in what I find let me know.

Rockford t10000 constant power with two sundown ds-2 tens.

Quick Reply: Recommend a pair of subs for my Avalanche please.