Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

BLS 98-02 Projector Retro Installed

Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLS 98-02 Projector Retro Installed

I recently received my kit from Blackbird Lighting Solutions. A lot of people on here have the opinion that it is too much money to spend. I personally believe that these were worth every penny. Daytime Pics in Post 7, Night pics in Post 15. High Res of any of the pics available.

The main kit that they send you is easy to install. You have one power and one ground that you attach to the proper posts. You have one place to plug in factory harness and two outputs at the ballasts. Awesome quality components and they even put the wires in a sheath.

The amount of work that you need to do to remove and install the headlight assemblies is minimal. You take the bracket at the top of the light assembly that attaches to the core support off and slide the assembly towards the middle of the car and pull out.

The hardest part of this will be deciding where to put the components of the HID's. If you use my suggestions, you could probably install these in 30 minutes.

I chose to put my relay block down on the fender support on the drivers side. I put my ballasts in the same spot on both sides, right behind the inner most part of the light, where the core support, bumper support and headlight bracket attach.

If you use my suggested locations, you will not have to make new holes to mount the kit as I used stock fastener locations.

The tools I used were:

10mm socket
15mm socket (just for the positive post on drivers side)
3/8 drive ratchet

More pictures tomorrow, Its dark and raining right now... Before you ask, pics are before being aimed correctly.

Last edited by Black96z28; 05-16-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added text about pics in post7
Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good. You need to fix the rotational adjustments and aim them now.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

As far as the bls high low mod goes, you have three splitters and one combining harness pieces. On which ever side of your car that you don't use to plug in the relay harness you just take your high beam connector and split it between the high bulb and the bi xenon mode connector.

On the side with the harness input, take the blue wire harness and plug it into your high beam connector. Take the second red splitter and connect your high bulb and bi xenon mode connector to the side of the blue harness that does not have the diode.

Take the side of your blue wire harness with the diode and connect it to the orange and black combining harness and plug your low beam signal wire into the combining harness and plug it into the relay harness for the HID's.

What this does is allow a signal from either high or low beam to turn on the HID's but prevents (by using a diode) any power from getting into the high beam circuit when not wanted.

Hi/Lo harness pieces

I did have one slight problem with a two of the harnesses:
My harness with the diode was installed with the lead for the diode on the ground side of one of the connectors, and my combining harness was mismatched power and ground, making a short to ground. Almost let the smoke out of the wires.
This is not a big deal, very easy to fix but just look yours over before you install them.
The only connector that is correct in this picture is the bottom right connector. Picture above this with all the harnesses put together also shows the harness incorrectly wired. However it shows how you will connect them.

Last edited by Black96z28; 05-16-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added info/pic
Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 AM
FormerVendor

Looks great and good write up. The rotational alignment is an easy adjustment and I responded to your PM with the instructions. Should only take you a couple minutes to get them perfect. For some odd reason, each car seems to fit just a touch differently so we allow for some rotational adjustment in the car to make sure they are exactly level. Looking forward to the final pics.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! The car coming along looking great, what's your next thing for your car.

Last edited by ls1jorge; 05-15-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great, whole car looks awesome too! Must be the rims (I have them as well)
Old 05-15-2012, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

And the *** shot... lol
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

LOOKS NICE!!!! BTW what lowering spring do you have? car sits nice.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks sick. They fit the theme of the car perfectly.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
LOOKS NICE!!!! BTW what lowering spring do you have? car sits nice.
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Looks sick. They fit the theme of the car perfectly.
Thanks for the compliments.

It is sitting on Strano springs and KYB AGX shocks.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks very nice!

The best part about going with the BLS kit besides their cool appearance is how much improved vision while driving at night compared to the generic aftermarket hid kits.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car is very similar to mine ! Wow, I just have chrome. C6z wheels no Berger and ss spoiler. I was wondering how the completely blacked out projector would look compared to the traditional whistler head lights which I have
Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks great! Anyone who thinks BLS kits are too expensive, your crazy. Best money I spent on my car thus far. Car wont look good or go fast if you cant see well at night. No pun intended but these HID kits are a night and day difference over stock lighting.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

look great! these bls kits are awesome
Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BLS 98-02 Projector Retro Installed