Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Infinity door speakers

Old 05-16-2012, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity door speakers

Went to car toys and was told the door speakers where coaxle speakers and not component as I always thought. Purchased a pair of infinity 6023cf http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LmO1wPj...ce-6032cf.html for the doors. The bass does not seem as good nor the treble as high as the stock monsoons that were in there.

Are they components and thats why they don't sound as good or is my ear a little more picky?

Have 30 days to take back so would like to find out whats going on...

Thanks for any help guys!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

I'm not an expert on the stock Monsoon system, but I'd guess your door speakers aren't getting any treble at all, since I seem to recall that the factory tweets were run off the head unit directly or something of the sort.

I had those exact Infinity speakers, though, and I wasn't happy with them. I also have (currently) the high-end Infinity Kappa Perfect series speakers in my doors, and I'm not impressed with their low-end response either.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

def component..... Monsoon amp sends TWO signals to the front speaker. You have to separate the leads and run them separately.

See my post:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...speaker-s.html

post 16 for pics
Old 05-16-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Camaros with Monsoon audio have component door speakers that are mounted coaxially. Yeah, a little weird. That's why there are 4 wires going to them. If you hook up to only the midrange wires then yeah you'll be lacking the highs. Also, the factory amp and speakers are 2 ohm IIRC and those speakers (like most aftermarkets) are 4 ohm, so power transfer isn't as good.

I ripped out my monsoon amp altogether because the darn thing was malfunctioning anyway. Right now my Pioneer HU drives the door speakers (aftermarket Pioneer components) and hatch speakers (factory) directly, and my small aftermarket amp drives the sail panel subs I replaced. It sounds OK for a relatively inexpensive setup.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Camaros with Monsoon audio have component door speakers that are mounted coaxially. Yeah, a little weird. That's why there are 4 wires going to them. If you hook up to only the midrange wires then yeah you'll be lacking the highs. Also, the factory amp and speakers are 2 ohm IIRC and those speakers (like most aftermarkets) are 4 ohm, so power transfer isn't as good.

I ripped out my monsoon amp altogether because the darn thing was malfunctioning anyway. Right now my Pioneer HU drives the door speakers and hatch speakers directly, and my small aftermarket amp drives the sail panel subs I replaced. It sounds OK for a relatively inexpensive setup.
Front speakers are 2ohm and the tweeters are 4ohm...... Pretty sure about that.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

these are mine

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refer...7625863&sr=1-1

2ohm speaker.....
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

My advice would be that if u plan on using any speakers besides the factory speakers, you should look into rewiring them directly to the deck (aftermarket of course). If this is the case, I would recommend Polk DB's as good economic speakers. They work well with and without amplification.

I too have a few sets of the older infinity perfect and kappa series. I was not impressed when they were installed.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you guys must not be installing correctly..... My infinity door speakers rock on the monsoon amp. Actually has more thump than the kicker 6.5s in my sails (also off the monsoon amp). My setup is as follows: Infinity doors, Kicker sails, Kicker rears and Infinity Basslink for bass. Sound is so perfect.... I would never take the factory amp out unless it craps out.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
you guys must not be installing correctly..... My infinity door speakers rock on the monsoon amp. Actually has more thump than the kicker 6.5s in my sails (also off the monsoon amp). My setup is as follows: Infinity doors, Kicker sails, Kicker rears and Infinity Basslink for bass. Sound is so perfect.... I would never take the factory amp out unless it craps out.
How are they supposed to be hooked up? Positive/negative wires?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Thought they were a 2 ohm, but didn't know tweeter was 4 ohm.

Blown bayou same ones U have what am I missing?

Curious to know more about aftermarket head unit....

All it requires is old school wiring to the actual unit? Maybe cut factory amp?

Have 2-12's / 600 watt amp also, replace All six speakers or only four?

This stereo systems baffles me, I know regular stereos!

Thanks again......
Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check the monsoon stickie in the forum for the wire colors for + and -

The link you posted shows 4 ohm speaker imp. Mine are def 2 ohm. Not a real biggie though... You just have to click your volume up a couple of notches more to be at the volume you are used to.

I also have an aftermarket radio installed..... powers through the monsoon amp like a champ.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
check the monsoon stickie in the forum for the wire colors for + and -

The link you posted shows 4 ohm speaker imp. Mine are def 2 ohm. Not a real biggie though... You just have to click your volume up a couple of notches more to be at the volume you are used to.

I also have an aftermarket radio installed..... powers through the monsoon amp like a champ.
Im not sure what level of car audio experience you have, but I can tell you with over 5.5 years in sales/install, the infinity speakers dissapoint most people who have had them installed. Im not saying they are junk, I have a full Infinity/Harmon Kardon home theater which has been amazing. What Im saying, is that there are other brands in the same price range which give customers more bang for their buck.

Ohms are measures of resistance. You must take care when using speakers with different ohm ratings than factory.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraz
Ohms are measures of resistance. You must take care when using speakers with different ohm ratings than factory.
For audio systems, ohms are the unit of measure of impedance which is essentially the AC equivalent of resistance in a DC circuit. You must be careful never to use speakers of lower impedance than the source can handle (i.e. never put 2-ohm speakers on a 4-ohm amp) but you can always use higher impedance without problem. Doubling the impedance will cut power in half resulting in less current flow and hence lower temperatures at the amp - something that amps like.

Cutting power in half does not cut volume in half. Volume (actually sound pressure) is measured in decibels which is a logarithmic scale. It takes ten times as much power to double the volume. Half the power results in a 3dB drop in volume - about the equivalent of one click on the volume ****. And that doesn't take into account the differences in speaker efficiency that can compensate for the volume loss.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ultraz
Im not sure what level of car audio experience you have, but I can tell you with over 5.5 years in sales/install, the infinity speakers dissapoint most people who have had them installed. Im not saying they are junk, I have a full Infinity/Harmon Kardon home theater which has been amazing. What Im saying, is that there are other brands in the same price range which give customers more bang for their buck.

Since I was 15 years old.... so just about 21 years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infinity door speakers