Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best sub for stealth box?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best sub for stealth box?

So I just ordered a stealth box from Double D. I currently have a 12" MTX thunder sub that pounds pretty good for being 10 years old. However, the box either sits in the back window to advertise or where the t-tops would be stored. neither one is convenient. Since I have not purchased a sub in the 10 years I have had the MTX I am a little behind the times. So any suggestions would be great!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RE-AUDIO-SRx...item5d3381f1d0
Old 06-02-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently got a 10" TC Sounds Epic 10 and DD stealth box. I'm very happy with it so far. If you go with it though you will need a 3/4" spacer for it to fit; the magnet is too large in diameter to fit down inside where the box gets smaller. It's 5" deep where it tapers in. It seems just about as loud as the 3 cheaper MTX 10's I had in there. It's not broken in yet though and I haven't turned it up all the way or properly set the gains. I've heard a lot of good things about the Dayton HO, Arc Audio, and JL 10w3v3 but no experience with any of them.

I just noticed the link above and it's for a 12" sub- the stealth boxes use a 10" sub. Also the ad says it's for a SRx and shows a picture of a SEx?

Last edited by SilverSS07; 06-03-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

thats a 12
box is a 10
the 10 version of this sub will not fit
I just ordered in one of the new RE PRO series and going to try to squeeze one of them in
If I can get in the new RE Pro series you guys are going to love it. I just dont think it will fit due tot he basket design

I like the ARC 10 in these boxes myself
Let me know if you need us to preload any subs in your box as we have many options for you
Thanks for your business!
Dennis
Old 06-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SilverSS07
I recently got a 10" TC Sounds Epic 10 and DD stealth box. I'm very happy with it so far. If you go with it though you will need a 3/4" spacer for it to fit; the magnet is too large in diameter to fit down inside where the box gets smaller. It's 5" deep where it tapers in. It seems just about as loud as the 3 cheaper MTX 10's I had in there. It's not broken in yet though and I haven't turned it up all the way or properly set the gains. I've heard a lot of good things about the Dayton HO, Arc Audio, and JL 10w3v3 but no experience with any of them.

I just noticed the link above and it's for a 12" sub- the stealth boxes use a 10" sub. Also the ad says it's for a SRx and shows a picture of a SEx?
Thanks, I noticed it was for a 12" as well. I was curios on how deep I could fit a basket and magnet in there. I Have a few odd's n ends sitting around the garage from years of tuning. Just got out of it because I got tired of people helping themselves to it.

Does the surround hit the TTops with the spacer?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DOUBLEDMODS
thats a 12
box is a 10
I just ordered in one of the new RE PRO series and going to try to squeeze one of them in
If I can get in the new RE Pro series you guys are going to love it. I just dont think it will fit due tot he basket design

Let me know if you need us to preload any subs in your box as we have many options for you
Dennis
Thanks Dennis. I know the amp will determine what I can put to the sub. When I get some time this afternoon I'll see what I have. I know it's a RF Prime, but don't know anything more that it fits in the storage under my armrest of my truck and fits where the stealth box is going in my T/A.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00 T/A Ron Burgondy
Thanks, I noticed it was for a 12" as well. I was curios on how deep I could fit a basket and magnet in there. I Have a few odd's n ends sitting around the garage from years of tuning. Just got out of it because I got tired of people helping themselves to it.

Does the surround hit the TTops with the spacer?
I'm almost positive it won't hit but haven't checked it yet. The tropical storm that came through here last week made a nice puddle in my hatch so everything is out right now. I can't get it to leak spraying it for 30 minutes with a hose so I'll probably put it back in soon and let you know for sure. Putting in a new evap core on Tuesday. Yay. Also- if you look on JL audio's website they list all the specs for their speakers. We know a 10w3v3 fits in the box and it's magnet diameter is 5.25"; mounting depth is 5.93 inches; so it fits down inside the recessed area in the box without a problem. So if you're looking at a sub if it has a huge magnet and you're going to use a spacer maximum mounting depth would be 5.75". If the magnet is smaller then depth isn't really an issue.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SilverSS07
I'm almost positive it won't hit but haven't checked it yet. The tropical storm that came through here last week made a nice puddle in my hatch so everything is out right now. I can't get it to leak spraying it for 30 minutes with a hose so I'll probably put it back in soon and let you know for sure. Putting in a new evap core on Tuesday. Yay. Also- if you look on JL audio's website they list all the specs for their speakers. We know a 10w3v3 fits in the box and it's magnet diameter is 5.25"; mounting depth is 5.93 inches; so it fits down inside the recessed area in the box without a problem. So if you're looking at a sub if it has a huge magnet and you're going to use a spacer maximum mounting depth would be 5.75". If the magnet is smaller then depth isn't really an issue.
That sucks man, let me know how it all works out. That is exactly what i needed to know for the depth! Hopefully I can get it all squared away soon.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

I have an Alpine Type R and I am quite happy with it. Nothing crazy but it hits plenty hard for me.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DOUBLEDMODS
thats a 12
box is a 10

Dennis
Dennis, got my stealth box Wednesday. Thanks for quick turn around. I have some other work I need to take care of before I can get in. Once I get that done this weekend I'll get the box in and amp relocated! Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by 00 T/A Ron Burgondy
Dennis, got my stealth box Wednesday. Thanks for quick turn around. I have some other work I need to take care of before I can get in. Once I get that done this weekend I'll get the box in and amp relocated! Thanks again!
your welcome!
Thanks again for your business!
Dennis
Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, now that all the major things are done, I had some free time today to squeeze an Alpine SWR-10D2 into the stealth box. I had to get the grinder out to squeeze it in!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Image Dynamics IDQ10V3 will sound really good.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Andrew1989
I have an Alpine Type R and I am quite happy with it. Nothing crazy but it hits plenty hard for me.
ive heard good things about these. i may go with 1 myself
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I have the amp relocated and the the sub installed in the amp. I have trimmed the inside edge of the of the plastic in the rear but still doesn't fit cleanly. Any advice on how to clean it up and get the plastic to fit nicer?

Quick Reply: Best sub for stealth box?