Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

altetor voltomet

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default altetor voltomet

i just had an aternator and a new optima battery installedand everythng seemed fine for about a half hour. the i got on the highway and gave it a good amount of gas and the voltometer went rght into the yellow and the check gages light came on. but after that the gage never moved and the car ran fine. got it home and it even will start right up. does anyone know if the new alt. is defective or if the gage mightve failed on me, or if maybe i need a new wire? any help would be greatly appreciated. my mechanic is far from me and i dont want the car to die no the way back there
Old 06-13-2012, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like your serpentine belt might not be tensioned properly on the new alt. If your still using the original alternator charging cable you should invest in doing a "BIG 3" upgrade especially since you just did both a battery and alternator. Also check the tiny wire that sends the voltage to the alternator regulator (I forget the exact name).
Old 06-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Teching In

my friend that installed the alternator checked all the wiring and said it was all good. i checked with a volt meter and we are pretty sure the alternator is bad either its defective or it broke when i floored it. i read a few things on here about people burning out new alternators after giving it some gas, but it def wasnt charging. im sure he will double check everything when he installs the new one. thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Launching!

If you have an alternator go bad after "flooring it" you had a bad alternator to begin with.

Check the optima and make sure its charged and holding a charge. Seen a few defective ones but thats not to say its your case.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Teching In

i think you are right about the alternator being bad from the beginning. i Am putting a new one in soon. the optima was brand new cuz the one i had before it went bad after 2 years and i got a free one cuz of the warranty, i tested it and it was good. the alt. we put in was a new one from car quest, do u think i should go w a remanfactured one or another brand? or just get the same kind?