Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp Crossover question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amp Crossover question

I had to buy an aftermarket amp to power my sail panel kicker subs, but im trying to figure the crossover settings out. The stock sail panel subs received a low frequency from the monsoon... any idea what that was?

Right now I do not have the amp set to a hi or low crossover so my subs are getting the full sounds, but i want to try and recreate how the stock subs sounded.... Would I set my amp to low crossover and if so what frequency range?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Set the high pass to whatever the subs fs is for or a little under depending on the setup you have...
Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by strokerrace
Set the high pass to whatever the subs fs is for or a little under depending on the setup you have...
I think you got that backward using a highpass will only allow higher frequencies which is what he's trying to stop.

OP use the low pass filter and set it where it sounds best for your music type, typically 100-250 Hz range for subwoofers.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I think you got that backward using a highpass will only allow higher frequencies which is what he's trying to stop.

OP use the low pass filter and set it where it sounds best for your music type, typically 100-250 Hz range for subwoofers.
Correct - use the low pass filter. Use your ears to determine what freq to set. Or, if you're technically inclined, you could look at the freq response curves for your speakers and determine where the main drivers start to drop off, and where the subs are needed to supplement. 250Hz, IMHO, is too high for subs, and the frequencies between 125 and 250Hz will dominate everything else your system is putting out. Your main drivers will easily hit 250Hz, and probably drive down to 100-150Hz without any significant dropoff in response. This is why most people use a 100-120Hz LPF for subs.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bjm8
Correct - use the low pass filter. Use your ears to determine what freq to set. Or, if you're technically inclined, you could look at the freq response curves for your speakers and determine where the main drivers start to drop off, and where the subs are needed to supplement. 250Hz, IMHO, is too high for subs, and the frequencies between 125 and 250Hz will dominate everything else your system is putting out. Your main drivers will easily hit 250Hz, and probably drive down to 100-150Hz without any significant dropoff in response. This is why most people use a 100-120Hz LPF for subs.
I use 125 Hz settings on my High and Low pass filters on my Pioneer deck myself, I just said the top of 250Hz as that is what I seam to recall as being the top end of adjustment on my monoblock amp.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Yea sorry it is low pass! Was a little intoxicated and switched em up ha.