Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Finally time to upgrade the stereo, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally time to upgrade the stereo, suggestions?

The search function usually answers all my questions but a lot of the the stuff seems outdated.

I have an 01 z28 with the monsoon system (with the exception of my JVC HDR-30) and I'm just sick of the horrible quality. It seems like front components and a stealth box are the way to go.

I'm pretty much set on the Arc 10 sub in a stealth box but I'm not sure what amp and components to get. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 06-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Well it really all depends on how deep your pockets are, I can recommend a 900 dollar component set, but i'm going to assume you're looking to spend 150-200 dollars for the pair.
(non-sponsor links removed)
I can list a few more but these are my favorites, I can't stress it enough though, if you're going with aftermarket components, subs, sub amp, you might as well get a good 4 channel amp for the components as the stock monsoon amp will not give you the sound you're trying to achieve when you buy such a nice component set. Also look into adding some sound deadener to the door panel to better the sound quality and the midbass of the woofer.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 06-23-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Teching In

keeaudio.com has good packages and speakers. I replaced just my sail panels with CDT HD-6MSUB DVC subwoofers and immediately noticed a difference. I'm going to replace the door and hatch speakers when I can.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

If your adding a sub in the back then I would do away with the subs in the sail panels they sound terrible anyways. Just put good component speakers in the front and good speakers in the sail panels and then add your sub in the stealth box in the back. I used hybrid audio Clarus up front and hybrid audio Mirus in the sail panels and went with a stealth box with JL audio sub and ran everything through a 5 channel massive audio amp. The clarity and sound is amazing, you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TRTC360
Well it really all depends on how deep your pockets are, I can recommend a 900 dollar component set, but i'm going to assume you're looking to spend 150-200 dollars for the pair.
(non-sponsor links removed)
I can list a few more but these are my favorites, I can't stress it enough though, if you're going with aftermarket components, subs, sub amp, you might as well get a good 4 channel amp for the components as the stock monsoon amp will not give you the sound you're trying to achieve when you buy such a nice component set. Also look into adding some sound deadener to the door panel to better the sound quality and the midbass of the woofer.
That is the plan but should I use a 4 channel amp + an amp for the sub or a 5 channel amp? I already have some deadening material at my disposal so that won't be an issue.

Originally Posted by methdmx
keeaudio.com has good packages and speakers. I replaced just my sail panels with CDT HD-6MSUB DVC subwoofers and immediately noticed a difference. I'm going to replace the door and hatch speakers when I can.
I tried to contact them a few times with no luck because I was originally looking at just replacing my speakers, but I now want to just replace the entire monsoon system.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 06-23-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Teching In

I'm liking what I read about the Focal 165 A1. Since I'm going to be using an stealth box with a sub and likely those in the doors, what should I go with in the sails? I was looking at (non-sponsor links removed)

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 06-23-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Morder
I'm liking what I read about the Focal 165 A1. Since I'm going to be using an stealth box with a sub and likely those in the doors, what should I go with in the sails? I was looking at (non-sponsor links removed)
The Focal A1 are not that great if you ask me
The Performance series is what you want if you go Focal

I would go with Hybrid Imagine, Helix HELE62C, Hybrid Unity to name a few components and go with the Hybrid Mirus in the rear

Call me if you want to discuss

We are open all week 8-5 and 8-4 on Friday
2 phone lines so your sure to get one of us on the phone!
608 568 3011
Dennis

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 06-23-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DOUBLEDMODS
The Focal A1 are not that great if you ask me
The Performance series is what you want if you go Focal

I would go with Hybrid Imagine, Helix HELE62C, Hybrid Unity to name a few components and go with the Hybrid Mirus in the rear

Call me if you want to discuss

We are open all week 8-5 and 8-4 on Friday
2 phone lines so your sure to get one of us on the phone!
608 568 3011
Dennis
I understand there are better speakers out there but those are at least double the price of the Focal's. I'm not a big enough audiophile to justify spending $300+ on a pair of speakers just yet. I ended up going with:

Focal 165 A1
Focal 165 CA1
Massive NX5
Stealthbox w/ Arc 10 (from you guys)

Can't wait for all this stuff to get here

Last edited by Morder; 06-26-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Just call Dennis and let him know your budget and he will set you up with the best stuff for the amount you want to spend.

Quick Reply: Finally time to upgrade the stereo, suggestions?