Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help!!!Gauge Cluster is lit up like a x-mas tree?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!Gauge Cluster is lit up like a x-mas tree?!?!?!

Hello all, let me start by saying I am a noob to camaros. I've been around cars and been "wrenching" for many years tho.

Here's the issue....recently bought a 2000 camaro SS ...ls1-m6.....2 days after buying it I hopped in and started it up and every warning light in the gauge cluster (abs, rcs, oil change, seat belt, etc...) lit up and stayed lit while the car was running....also my odometer looks like Chinese. The display is completely scrambled and non readable . ...but all my gauges look to be functioning properly. Speedo, tach, fuel, temp, etc are all good.

Some times when I start it, all lites will be off, and the odometer will work correctly......other times, it will go all wonky as mentioned above.....is this just a sign to replace the entire cluster or is there a fuse, relay, wire, etc that needs to be replaced to fix this issue?.......thanks for the help
Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Ohhh. This sounds like the cracked solder problems we see on the radios and BCM. Over time the solder on the electronic boards cracks and shorts out. The fix is easy - just re-melt the solder with a hot iron.

I don't recall seeing a thread on the instrument panel. You might try a search to see if someone has pictures or instructions for the problem joints.