Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Back left speaker rattles with lots of bass, no idea why

Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back left speaker rattles with lots of bass, no idea why

Brand new speakers and the back left one rattles real bad when there is a lot of bass, I have no idea why. I pulled the plastic speaker cover off and it still rattles.

Last edited by Dyson350; 07-03-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Launching!

When I changed out my sail subs I had to use a different size flat nut than what came in the car. I'm sure someone knows the size #, I can't remember. If you used the stock flat nut than it will rattle like hell, at least it did for me.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by floodofnoise
When I changed out my sail subs I had to use a different size flat nut than what came in the car. I'm sure someone knows the size #, I can't remember. If you used the stock flat nut than it will rattle like hell, at least it did for me.
Where is the flat nut located? Only thing I saw when I pulled the cover off was 2 screws holding the speaker in place

Is it possible the company I had install it not bypass the built car amp on the trans am? Because the new head unit I have has a build in amp. I am not sure how that all works so just throwing that out there.

Last edited by Dyson350; 07-03-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

ALL head units have a built-in amplifier. That's to allow you to hook up speakers directly without needing an external amplifier. The company that installed your system should not have bypassed the factory amp unless they installed an aftermarket amp in its place or they were total idiots.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

I thought the TA had a built in factory amp that wasn't in the factory head unit? If so and the company used that amp and bypassed the new head units amp could that cause the rattling? The rattling also existed in the stock speaker as well as the new one so something tells me its nothing to do with the speaker. Plus I had the company take out the original new speaker they put in with another new one and it still rattles.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, the Monsoon system has BOTH an amp in the head unit and an external amp. The system takes the amplified signal from the HU and amplifies it some more before sending to the speakers.

You seem to have a mechanical problem as opposed to an electronic one. The signal at the speaker is not the problem. Something is loose or broken that is rattling. It could be the speaker, the grille, some piece of trim, or even part of the body.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 AM
Launching!

Here is the thread that helped me out with your same issue, my subs were rattling like hell because they were not fitting snug against the body of the car. Use these speednuts to mount the speakers and use all 4 per speaker instead of the 2 you said are in there now. It should stop the annoying rattling.

read this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ll-w-pics.html
Old 07-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by floodofnoise
Here is the thread that helped me out with your same issue, my subs were rattling like hell because they were not fitting snug against the body of the car. Use these speednuts to mount the speakers and use all 4 per speaker instead of the 2 you said are in there now. It should stop the annoying rattling.

read this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ll-w-pics.html
Thanks I will check it out. But if I remember right when I was looking around in there I am pretty sure the speakers are mounted to only plastic using 2 screws
Old 07-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay wait... which speakers are you talking about? We've all been assuming you meant the 6.5" sail panel subs but now it sounds like you may mean the 4" hatch area speakers. The sail panel subs mount to the metal body panel with four screws. The small hatch speakers are riveted and glued to the plastic trim from the factory but could have screws if replaced.

If you're talking about the hatch speakers, you could try adding some two-sided tape or you could just disconnect them - they don't add much anyway.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Okay wait... which speakers are you talking about? We've all been assuming you meant the 6.5" sail panel subs but now it sounds like you may mean the 4" hatch area speakers. The sail panel subs mount to the metal body panel with four screws. The small hatch speakers are riveted and glued to the plastic trim from the factory but could have screws if replaced.

If you're talking about the hatch speakers, you could try adding some two-sided tape or you could just disconnect them - they don't add much anyway.
The speaker I am talking about is located right next to the passenger seat behind the driver. I only have 4 speakers in the car and the other 2 are on the doors. I am kind of wondering if the speakers that go next to the back passenger seats aren't meant to have very much bass in them at all because any kind of deep bass makes the rattling/pop sound.

Last edited by Dyson350; 07-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The sail panel speakers (next to the rear seat) should be mounted to the metal panel under the plastic trim using four screws each. If they are mounted to the plastic with only two screws, that is the likely cause of your problem.

And if you don't have speakers in the hatch area then you don't have a Monsoon system so you can stop worrying about the external amp - you don't have one.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

The sail panel speakers (next to the rear seat) should be mounted to the metal panel under the plastic trim using four screws each. If they are mounted to the plastic with only two screws, that is the likely cause of your problem.

And if you don't have speakers in the hatch area then you don't have a Monsoon system so you can stop worrying about the external amp - you don't have one.

Just checked out the speaker again, it IS connected to the frame, I was mistaken. But wow did the company who did the install suck. No only were the speaker wires pinches between the frame and speaker itself, instead of being in the notched out area for speaker wires but they also only screwed down the right side, so the left side has room to wiggle....could that be the cause of rattle/pop sound?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Probably!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

Probably!
Well I fixed the popping, like I thought it was due to bad screw placement. Its in there solid now. I still have the rattling though but like you mentioned I need to add some more speed nuts I think and I am hoping that will fix the issue entirely.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put some dynomat on the metal where the speed screws go. Then screw it down.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jsteele90
Put some dynomat on the metal where the speed screws go. Then screw it down.
Not a bad idea, if the speed nuts didn't work I was gonna try and rig up or buy just some speaker gasket rings and glue them to the metal frame. I think your suggestion sounds much easier though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back left speaker rattles with lots of bass, no idea why