Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is my stereo system wired wrong?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my stereo system wired wrong?

I get all my bass from the 2 middle speakers next to the back passenger seats causing them to rattle, while the hatch speakers have everything but the bass.

If its wrong how easy is it to fix.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Sounds right to me. There is a crossover built into the monsoon amp that seperates the high and low frequency to each set of speakers. The speakers in your passenger area are the subwoofers (at least they should be) and are getting only low frequency sound sent to them. The speakers in the hatch area are just for highlights and are getting higher frequencies sent to them. Are you sure the speakers installed in your passenger area are actually subwoofers rather than full range? What speakers are installed in there? are they rattling or are they distorted?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by floodofnoise
Sounds right to me. There is a crossover built into the monsoon amp that seperates the high and low frequency to each set of speakers. The speakers in your passenger area are the subwoofers (at least they should be) and are getting only low frequency sound sent to them. The speakers in the hatch area are just for highlights and are getting higher frequencies sent to them. Are you sure the speakers installed in your passenger area are actually subwoofers rather than full range? What speakers are installed in there? are they rattling or are they distorted?
Here are the speakers installed

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ImhE3w0...ml#details-tab

They sound kind of like a popping sound, but I think it is because the speakers are not mounted flush onto the frame. The company did a **** poor job and only has 3 screws holding them in place and like I said they sit on the bare metal frame.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Ahh, yeah I hate to tell you this but those aren't the right type of speaker to install there, especially if you are using the stock amp. They are not designed for the low bass that is being sent back there, they are a midrange that are used in the door panels up front in most cars. You want to get a set of subwoofers, which are made for the bass and do not have that tweeter on top of it. Something like this, see the difference? i have these and they sound great, link:

http://shop.doubledmods.com/WF6415DV...-bazooka65.htm

Old 07-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by floodofnoise
Ahh, yeah I hate to tell you this but those aren't the right type of speaker to install there, especially if you are using the stock amp. They are not designed for the low bass that is being sent back there, they are a midrange that are used in the door panels up front in most cars. You want to get a set of subwoofers, which are made for the bass and do not have that tweeter on top of it. Something like this, see the difference? i have these and they sound great, link:

http://shop.doubledmods.com/WF6415DV...-bazooka65.htm

Damn that sucks, the company I bought the speakers from should of told me that. I guess I have 2 speakers I need to sell :-/
Old 07-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Make up you mind man. In your previous thread you said you had only four speakers (base audio system) and now you're talking about hatch speakers (Monsoon system only). It makes a huge difference in which types of speakers will work so which is it?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Make up you mind man. In your previous thread you said you had only four speakers (base audio system) and now you're talking about hatch speakers (Monsoon system only). It makes a huge difference in which types of speakers will work so which is it?
Well I thought I did too, I didn't realize audio was coming out of the hatch speakers because I was told the head unit could only handle 4 speakers. I was wrong though and there are 6 speakers in the car. The ones in the door and the back passenger seats are both Kicker KS65's and I am not sure what the hatch speakers are..all I know is they seem to be what puts out the vocals and ect...while the middle ones but out all the bass.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

In that case, floodofnoise is correct - you have the wrong speakers in both the doors and the sail panels. The sail panels take 6.5" subs (single voice coil in Camaros, dual voice coil in Firebirds) and the doors taken components rather than coaxial, full-range speakers. You can get away with coaxials in the doors (although you give up some power) but the Monsoon amp sends only low frequency signal to the sail panels so coaxial speakers will not sound good (and may even rattle).

The Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section has lots of information about the Monsoon system configuration.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
In that case, floodofnoise is correct - you have the wrong speakers in both the doors and the sail panels. The sail panels take 6.5" subs (single voice coil in Camaros, dual voice coil in Firebirds) and the doors taken components rather than coaxial, full-range speakers. You can get away with coaxials in the doors (although you give up some power) but the Monsoon amp sends only low frequency signal to the sail panels so coaxial speakers will not sound good (and may even rattle).

The Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section has lots of information about the Monsoon system configuration.
The company that installed the system for me is telling me the monsoon amp isn't hooked up. They seem shady and I have a hard time believing what they say though and I don't know enough about this stuff to call them out on anything.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Easy enough to check. Pull the RADIO ACCY fuse (remove power to the amp) and see if you still get sound. If your sound disappears, you know they lied to you - the amp must still be powering the speakers.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

One more question, how well would the Kicker KS65's work for the hatch speakers? Reason I ask is I plan on replacing them with some sub speakers soon and would like to get some use out of them rather than selling them.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

It would be difficult to mount 6.5" speakers in place of the factory 4" in the hatch area. Besides, you wouldn't want that much sound coming from that far behind you - the hatch speakers are intended for rear fill only.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is my stereo system wired wrong?