Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How do you make tweeter pods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you make tweeter pods?

I've searched for hours here and over the net. I recently bought Polk MM6501 component speakers and would like to place my tweeters in the triangle piece in the door. I know people sell them but I'd like to try making them myself so I can get a feel for fiber glass. I understand the basic concept, creating a skeleton, wrapping it in cloth, applying resin and reinforce with fiberglass, but I'd like to know what people normally use to create the skeleton. I'm assuming it has to be adjustable so they can position the exact tweeter angle while in the car before wrapping. Also how to make the recessed screw hole. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

molding clay is one item you can use to get your base maybe.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Launching!

I couldn't wait for replies so I just started making a skeleton. These pods are a work in progress and the next step is wrapping and fiber glassing. I still don't know what I'm doing so this is an interesting project. If the pods turn out nice, I'll post up some pics, if not I wont
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by guitarplayersteven
I couldn't wait for replies so I just started making a skeleton. These pods are a work in progress and the next step is wrapping and fiber glassing. I still don't know what I'm doing so this is an interesting project. If the pods turn out nice, I'll post up some pics, if not I wont
the way i normally do it is by making a small ring for my tweeter

Super Glue that to the "triangle" in the position i want the tweeter to sit.

Cut a small amount of clearance behind the tweeter

Stretch and secure grill cloth to the "triangle"

"wet out" the grill cloth with resin

once dry i start applying fiberglass and resin

after the thickness i want is achieved, I sand, sand, sand, and sand some more, then apply body filler, sand and repeat until smooth, then paint...

easy when youve done a few
Old 07-20-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just buy a pair from 6LE..
Old 07-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Good info here... http://www.caraudio.com/forums/advan...-examples.html
Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1kwikF
the way i normally do it is by making a small ring for my tweeter

Super Glue that to the "triangle" in the position i want the tweeter to sit.

Cut a small amount of clearance behind the tweeter

Stretch and secure grill cloth to the "triangle"

"wet out" the grill cloth with resin

once dry i start applying fiberglass and resin

after the thickness i want is achieved, I sand, sand, sand, and sand some more, then apply body filler, sand and repeat until smooth, then paint...

easy when youve done a few
Thanks for the tips! I haven't checked this post and didn't know people were actually responding to this. I have a skeleton already, now onto wrapping and glassing. Where did you get your grill cloth?

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
Or just buy a pair from 6LE..
I wanted to try to do it myself so I can gain a little experience, but if I screw up horribly I'll buy some.

Originally Posted by fspeedster
That is a very unique way of making pods, but looks like a very effective way I never would have thought of. Looks good though!

I had no idea where to start with this project but me and some friends stumbled across different ways to start. We ended up tracing the triangle door piece on some thin sturdy wood we found in the shop and cut and smoothed it out. We then attached my tweeter ring to the wood at my preferred angle using metal back straps, screws and speed clips. I had to drill a hole for the side mirror bolt to clear but overall looks decent and so far seems very sturdy. I've never fiber glassed anything before but I'll practice on something else before I actually wrap the pods. I'll post pics up in a couple weeks. Hopefully the pods will turn out OK.

Thanks for all the tips!

Quick Reply: How do you make tweeter pods?