Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car Audio setup for Metal/Rock oriented music

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Audio setup for Metal/Rock oriented music

Hey guys,

Well, will be picking up my car here in a day or so after headers have been installed. As much as I love listening to the LS1...I am also a man of tunes.

I've been out of the car audio area for years, and even then I can't say I was ever "in". The most I've ever done was install a aftermarket CD player and some rear 6x9's. (LOL).

Anyway....it is time I went ahead and gathered some information and eventually drop the hammer on some audio for the Formula. The stock Monsoon, let's just say the rear speaker behind me is blown....and it's no surprise this thing is just not up to par. I can't stand the distortion at even low listening levels....pet peeve!

I listen to mainly Metal music, I also enjoy classic rock and a little bit of rap (I like the old stuff, none of the new rap released within the last ten years). I should lay it out there-- I'm not looking to enter any competitions, lol. I don't want to be "King Kong coming down the block", I am just looking for something that will bring out the essence of the music. My budget would be around...let's say 800-1200 dollars.

I have always used Pioneer head units, and am pretty happy with the 3 models I have had in all of my previous rides.

I do not care for single-DIN units. When I stumbled upon DoubleD's website on our forum, that really grabbed my eye. I see he pairs them with some Pioneer models, so I would like to go for one of those.

As for speakers...I see that Kee Audio has a package that replaces the Monsoon speaker sets for a decent price. I am not familiar with the brand CDT-- have any of you guys used these? I understand the importance of a good set of component speakers up front, so I am open to ideas as long as the speakers are in good comparison with my music tastes.

Subwoofers and boxes-- I love DoubleD's stealth box, I do not want a box taking up my entire hatch (Also remember, I'm not looking to rock the block). As a subwoofer, I have always liked Image Dynamics. I would probably pair the box with a IDQv.3 10" woofer....I like a SQL woofer this one seems to fit the bill.

As for amps...what am I really looking at here guys? I've never had an "amped" system before (aside from the power that comes from an aftermarket CD player, lol). I assume I need two amps-- one to solely power the sub, another to connect all of my speakers.

Sound deadening is also something I would consider-- I can not STAND those who do not understand the rattling of your back trunk sounds like absolute ****.

Anyway guys, any ideas would be appreciated as far as speakers go. I want something that'll pick up the atmosphere of the music....clear vocals, picking up the double bass drumming, bass guitar and of course-- the lead! If anybody can point me in the right direction on the path you have taken-- that'd be great. I am no good at electrical wiring and connecting-- a friend of mine would take care of all of that. I've got the car I've always wanted...now it's time to enjoy the music as I've always wanted

Thanks,
Kenny

Last edited by xxKennyDxx; 07-27-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

When I blew one of my sail panel speakers, I replaced both with the Kee Audio CDT HD-6MSUB DVC subwoofers. Very easy to install and I noticed a slight bump in the audio quality. I plan to replace my fronts and rear sails with the Kee Audio's recommendations when I get extra money. Ian at Kee doesn't disappoint. I'm no audiophile, but I have a Pioneer DEH-3200UB and I'm satisfied so far with everything stock besides the sails. I'm sure when I replace the other stock speakers I will be more satisfied.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

2DIN CD Receiver (no DVD or Nav) $200
Modified bezel from DoubleD $100
Loaded stealth enclosure with 10" $250
New midbass replacements for sails $90
monoblock class D amp $160
Misc cables, RCA, speaker, 4 ga power $100
PAC controller for steering wheel $100 (I think??)

Beyond that, you replace the speakers that already work, and bigger amps to drive the fronts, sail midbass subs, and hatch speakers. The HU is the big cost variable. You could blow your entire budget on a flagship unit loaded with features if you wanted to.

If you want specific item recommendations, PM me. Otherwise it just turns into a brand war pissing match half the time.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Capricio
2DIN CD Receiver (no DVD or Nav) $200
Modified bezel from DoubleD $100
Loaded stealth enclosure with 10" $250
New midbass replacements for sails $90
monoblock class D amp $160
Misc cables, RCA, speaker, 4 ga power $100
PAC controller for steering wheel $100 (I think??)

Beyond that, you replace the speakers that already work, and bigger amps to drive the fronts, sail midbass subs, and hatch speakers. The HU is the big cost variable. You could blow your entire budget on a flagship unit loaded with features if you wanted to.

If you want specific item recommendations, PM me. Otherwise it just turns into a brand war pissing match half the time.
Thanks, yeah I know- I don't want any brand wars haha. Just some recommendations.

Yeah I don't need a DVD or a Navigation unit really, I have my phone for that if I ever need something. I don't watch movies in a vehicle, I just want to listen to some tunes
Old 07-28-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

For a sub The new Infinity Kappa's handle double bass rolls really well..
I have always heard nothing but good things about Alpine and Pioneer units.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No No...

Buy american.

i run Image dynamics CTX midbass with DD silk dome tweets as my front components
Zapco coaxials in the sails a zapco mono amp and a sundown 4 channel... the sub i use is a DD 1508 ported to 42htz... it will keep up with ANY music i throw at it and can play a wide range of music from country to classic rock and even hits the lows in R&B and dubstep better than any of my friends system... nobody every believes its just a little 8" either... and i can crank it as high as i want without distortion..

Also with a nice component set hatch speakers are useless... they get drowned out by bass and exhaust anyways
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Sorry but this buy American stuff is bull.

You do realize half of zapcos product line isn't made in America.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gol school 500m refrence series is. just like the old school fosgate amps are beasts..the A series were made in the USA also..
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive gotta say for that price range JVC makes a great deck, i think its the kd-x40 or something. i have it and love it. and ive dicovered crutchfield s house brand of amps and subs, "sound ordinance" are actualy really solid at great prices, for speakers ive used JVC and had great success, and i also am a soilwork/slipknot kinda guy. i built my system for around 500 total and couldnt be happier.
JVC deck, and DRVN series speakers, Sound ordinance amp and 12"s, it screams. people usualy want the big name amps/subs/etc, but this brand has served me well.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

well for metal definitely go with a sealed box 10", thats best for that type of bass, for headunits I personally only run Pioneers myself just make sure whatever you get as built-in high-pass and low-pass filters and at least 4 volt RCA preouts to go to the amp. Remember great music quality starts at the source, won't matter how good your speakers are if your radio is crap.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I listen to tons of metal and I run Boston acoustic z6 components and tweeters up front, mids in my sails, and a 10 stealthed sub in the back, it sounds freaking amazing everyone that gets in my car is blown away at the clarity, when you have that in flames blaring and crystal clear just makes the ride so much better.

Quick Reply: Car Audio setup for Metal/Rock oriented music