Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Will resistors restore my cruise control with LED brake lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is my next step, changing out the flasher module with the version with the ground wire. I'll see how that works out soon.

What modules did you use for both? Links?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rickeagle
That is my next step, changing out the flasher module with the version with the ground wire. I'll see how that works out soon.

What modules did you use for both? Links?
Here is my thread. I went with what VIP posted in post #6

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...l#post19110371
Old 12-08-2016, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thaGrimace
I got a couple 25W 6ohm resistors from autozone...

and get's hot, just like a light bulb (but it gets way hotter)...

and you see something wrong/stupid, PLEASE PLEASE correct me. I don't want to spread bad information!
voltage = current x resistance { known as ohm's law, V=IR }
wattage = voltage x current.

system voltage max is 14.5 volts, consider 13.0 volts the minumum

at 12.0 volts, current through your 6 ohm resistor is 2.0 amps.
at 13.0 volts, current through your 6 ohm resistor is 2.167 amps.
at 14.15 volts, current current through your 6 ohm resistor is 2.416 amps.

at 12.0 volts the wattage is 24 watts, but system voltage is never this low.
the wattage your resistors need to dissipate is between 28 and 35 watts, but they are only rated for 25 watts. you really should be using the 50w rated power resistors if you do it this way

Not sure you need to simulate the light bulbs and use such a low resistance, which is also known as a power resistor and they do get hot their metal shell bodies should be mounted against metal as a heat sink.

the most common and inexpensive are the 1/2 watt resistors (from radio shack). for 14.5 volts staying below 0.5 watts means current has to be below 0.034 amps and for that you would need a resistor > 420 ohms, the most common to buy are a five pack of 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistors for $1.49.

for every one that you change to an LED and then find that the cruise control doesn't work, does removing all the bulbs result in the same problem?
And if you use all LED's except for one where you use an oem incandescant bulb, does that fix the problem?

Last edited by 1 FMF; 12-08-2016 at 01:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ramairjohn2000 (07-07-2020)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Did you install LED bulbs or an aftermarket taillight with integrated LEDs?

Thanks....
Old 12-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
voltage = current x resistance { known as ohm's law, V=IR }
wattage = voltage x current.

system voltage max is 14.5 volts, consider 13.0 volts the minumum

at 12.0 volts, current through your 6 ohm resistor is 2.0 amps.
at 13.0 volts, current through your 6 ohm resistor is 2.167 amps.
at 14.15 volts, current current through your 6 ohm resistor is 2.416 amps.

at 12.0 volts the wattage is 24 watts, but system voltage is never this low.
the wattage your resistors need to dissipate is between 28 and 35 watts, but they are only rated for 25 watts. you really should be using the 50w rated power resistors if you do it this way

Not sure you need to simulate the light bulbs and use such a low resistance, which is also known as a power resistor and they do get hot their metal shell bodies should be mounted against metal as a heat sink.

the most common and inexpensive are the 1/2 watt resistors (from radio shack). for 14.5 volts staying below 0.5 watts means current has to be below 0.034 amps and for that you would need a resistor > 420 ohms, the most common to buy are a five pack of 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistors for $1.49.

for every one that you change to an LED and then find that the cruise control doesn't work, does removing all the bulbs result in the same problem?
And if you use all LED's except for one where you use an oem incandescant bulb, does that fix the problem?
The first part of your analysis is correct - the common resistor used for load equalizing an LED bulb is a 6 ohm 50 watt.

The problem with the second part is that you're analyzing for inline power resistors as you would do when installing basic LEDs. In this case he is either using LED bulbs (e.g. 3157 replacement style) or a lamp with LEDs built in. In either case they have their own driver circuitry that is designed to use the full 12V electrical system input rather than the reduced voltage an inline power resistor creates. That's why load equalizing resistors are meant to be installed in parallel with the bulbs... the voltage to the LED bulb or lamp isn't reduced.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize what they are calling a load equalizing resistor gets connected in parallel,
When I suggest a 470 ohm half watt resistor be used instead I mean for it to be connected with the tail lamp assembly in parallel, and not as an inline current limiting resistor.
I'm not sure why the oem tail light bulbs need to be simulated,
and is the premise that a load resistor has to be used on both the left & right tail lamp?
i would think you would only need to do one side, if you needed to do both sides with a load resistor for LED lamps then is that implying for the oem bulbs that if one tail light bulb goes out that your cruise control would not work?
I'm sort of curious as to what is happening electrically with the LED lamps causing the problems that were described.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

It is my understanding that only the 3rd brake light needs to show a load for the cruise to work. You should be able to replace the other lights without affecting cruise control.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Teching In

I just discovered something interesting; I lost cruise control again and immediately checked out my taillights. I found the passenger brake light out.
Bought new bulbs and changed out the defective one and did a test drive. Cruise is functioning again.
Afterwards, I went to change out the driver's side (just because I had a new bulb) and found I had left the LED bulb in the driver's side taillight.

Tells me that the load to keep the cruise working only needs to be for one bulb.

Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I just discovered something interesting; I lost cruise control again and immediately checked out my taillights. I found the passenger brake light out.
Bought new bulbs and changed out the defective one and did a test drive. Cruise is functioning again.
Afterwards, I went to change out the driver's side (just because I had a new bulb) and found I had left the LED bulb in the driver's side taillight.

Tells me that the load to keep the cruise working only needs to be for one bulb.

Thoughts?
Get the no load flasher and save yourself the headache.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Already have the LED flasher module with ground wire. That does not make cruise work with LED taillights as the signal and brake/tail lights are not the same.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Already have the LED flasher module with ground wire. That does not make cruise work with LED taillights as the signal and brake/tail lights are not the same.
My cruise control works fine after swapping the OEM flashers with the no load flashers I purchased based on the link I provided. I changed out both flashers (hazard and turn signals). I have LED's in the front, rear turns and rear brake lights. Essentially all external lighting and internal lights are LED's.

Everything works just the same as having incandescent bulbs.

I will note that not all LED's are created equal. Some are cheaper than other. I am using LED's from Diode Dynamics.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guz
I have LED's in the front, rear turns and rear brake lights.
Even your third brake light in the hatch?

I will note that not all LED's are created equal. Some are cheaper than other. I am using LED's from Diode Dynamics.
Presumably cheaper LED's (that consume higher levels or power for the same light output) would have less of a cruise control problem...
Old 12-31-2016, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wssix99
Even your third brake light in the hatch?
Yes the third brake light on the spoiler works just fine. So does the cruise control. That was one of the first things I tested when I swapped everything out.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Yes the third brake light on the spoiler works just fine. So does the cruise control.
No, - Did you also put LED's in that lamp?
Old 01-01-2017, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

No, - Did you also put LED's in that lamp?
In what lamp? The third brake light on the spoiler? The third brake light on an SS is already an LED light from the factory. The Z28 has the incandescent bulb in it's third brake light.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:27 PM
Save the manuals!

The third brake light on an SS is already an LED light from the factory.
This is why your cruise control still works. Even though your SS spoiler may have a LED in it, that unit is '90s technology. Those old LEDs (and the unit they are a part of) likely draw enough current to make the cruise control happy. (LED's back in the day required much more power to achieve the brightness required for a stop lamp than modern LED's do.)
The following users liked this post:
eb110americana (07-05-2020)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

This is why your cruise control still works. Even though your SS spoiler may have a LED in it, that unit is '90s technology. Those old LEDs (and the unit they are a part of) likely draw enough current to make the cruise control happy. (LED's back in the day required much more power to achieve the brightness required for a stop lamp than modern LED's do.)
Actually, No. The LEDs in the SS still draw very little power. The style of LEDs in that spoiler don't draw that much more or less compared to most current LED string style 3rd brake lights of similar style/appearance. However, many newer 3rd brake lights use fewer brighter LEDs that draw more power each, not less (but there are fewer of them).

Something else is probably in circuit (resistors) to increase load or the fact that there is so many of them and the way they are wired (series and parallel strings) or a driver yields sufficient load. I haven't taken one apart so I don't know which.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

here is a pic of power resistors.

Last edited by bgw70; 05-21-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It is my understanding that only the 3rd brake light needs to show a load for the cruise to work. You should be able to replace the other lights without affecting cruise control.
This was not the case on my car. All the bulbs were standards except only the brake lights had been changed to LED. I did have a clutch switch code so I adjusted that first to make sure it wasn't locking out the cruise. After fixing the clutch switch still no cruise. I picked up some standard bulbs and replaced the LED brake lights with standard bulbs and my cruise worked.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:02 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

That may be because your car is an SS which already has LEDs in the third brake light. That would mean the entire brake light system was left with essentially no load. On other models of Camaro, it seems that replacing all except the third brake light works fine. Certainly on my Trans Am I was able to replace all of the main taillight bulbs with LEDs (for sequential turn signal use) without affecting my cruise control.

Quick Reply: Will resistors restore my cruise control with LED brake lights?