Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

am i'm wiring these kee audio CDT speakers correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default am i'm wiring these kee audio CDT speakers correctly?

I purchased the premium speakers from kee audio last year, just getting around to installing them. the front door speakers had the connector and 2 pairs of wires going to the speaker (left in pic). I assume the correct replacement CDT speaker is the one with the 4 coax type connectors? I just transferred the connector over from the oem speakers to the CDT speaker. For the sail panel speakers the instructions talk about hooking up a tweeter, do i not use that?
The sail panel speaker only had one pair of wires going to it, and the CDT EU-61CV speaker only has connection for one wire pair. But what got me thinking, and i know nothing really about audio, is i thought the front door speakers had a tweeter yet the CDT speaker that i'm using for the front door is HD-6M and the paper says mid bass. And the other CDT speaker that I am putting in the sail panel says mid woofer & tweeter. Just want to make sure i am installing the CDT speakers in the correct places. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails am i'm wiring these kee audio CDT speakers correctly?-k1.jpg  
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

checking kee audio's site they say eu-61cv goes in the doors, and the hd-6m goes in the sail panels. unless i am mistaken, the hd-6m sail panel speakers are the ones with the 4 push pins, the one on the left in my pic.
I just verified in my car and the door speakers have the 4 wire connector that went to the front 09370189 speaker and they are a heavier gauge wire. The sail panel speakers were 10447249 and had only a 2-wire connector of much smaller gauge. If I put the hd-6m having the 4 push-pin connector in the sail panel, which side top or bottom of the speaker do i connect the one pair of wires to ?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you have DVC (dual voice coil) subs for the sails in a camaro that only has one pair of amp channels to drive them. When using the stock monsoon amp, a camaro should use SVC cones in the sail panels. You have two choices:

1) Return the DVC subs for SVC versions
2) Figure out the impedance of the coils and see if you can make a series or parallel combination with a safe impedance level that still produces some volume.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes, the CDT subs are dual voice coil and no, you should not return them. They are DVC 4-ohm + 4-ohm for use in both Firebird and Camaro. In a Firebird you use both sets of terminals separately because the amp is designed for DVC subs. In a Camaro you wire the two voice coils in parallel so that you end up with the equivalent of SVC 2-ohm subs which is what the Camaro amp is designed for.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
In a Camaro you wire the two voice coils in parallel so that you end up with the equivalent of SVC 2-ohm subs which is what the Camaro amp is designed for.
that's kinda what i learned after googling and watching youtube for an hour after posting. on the hd-6m dual voice coils i got, the impedance on each coil is around 3.5-3.7 ohms, and this is on what might be a crappy digital multimeter. Measuring the speaker across both coils in parallel the meter reads around 1.7 ohms, so when i install the speaker (just to verify) i run a jumper between the two red pushpin connectors on the speaker and a jumper between the two black pushpin connectors on the speaker then just wire the + speaker wire in the car to the red side and the - speaker wire to the black side?

one last question, on the front door speakers, eu-61cv, I have the tweeter installed and the tweeter has a gray solid wire and a gray wire with white stripe. What polarity is the white stripe wire?
Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
that's kinda what i learned after googling and watching youtube for an hour after posting. on the hd-6m dual voice coils i got, the impedance on each coil is around 3.5-3.7 ohms, and this is on what might be a crappy digital multimeter. Measuring the speaker across both coils in parallel the meter reads around 1.7 ohms, so when i install the speaker (just to verify) i run a jumper between the two red pushpin connectors on the speaker and a jumper between the two black pushpin connectors on the speaker then just wire the + speaker wire in the car to the red side and the - speaker wire to the black side?
Keep in mind that true impedance is a function of AC, dependent on both regular resistors and AC elements like capacitance in a circuit. So, oftentimes when you measure it as resistance with a simple multimeter (effectively a DC analysis), the values appear to be a little off from what you're expecting.

The wiring will work as you described, or you can tap the wires with a crimp splice before the terminals so you aren't trying to stuff the terminals with too many bare ends.

I wasn't sure whether those cones were 2+2 or 4+4. A 2+2 really wouldn't give you an optimal solution for your application at 4 or 1 Ohm, so that's why I mentioned possibly returning it for a 2 Ohm SVC.

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
one last question, on the front door speakers, eu-61cv, I have the tweeter installed and the tweeter has a gray solid wire and a gray wire with white stripe. What polarity is the white stripe wire?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-polarity.html

Make sure you read through post #8!!!

Last edited by Capricio; 09-24-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: am i'm wiring these kee audio CDT speakers correctly?